Sad Molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

C

cheirodon

I have an orange Molly with black dots, about 2 1/2 inches. I bought her 10 days ago. She was very pregnant. 7 days ago she gave birth to more than 30 fry (hard to count). We watched the whole process, well into the night, and all went smoothly. She began with what I assume are contractions, every couple of minutes (she would go to a corner of the tank and lay still with all fins closed), and then began pooping a lot, and then, finally, out came the babies. She's been OK since then, and eating a lot, but as of yesterday, she lays in a corner, like sleeping, for hours at a time, very still. If I tap her and provide some food, she swims around and eats normally, she looks well, but then, eventually, she goes back to her depressed attitude.

Is there such a thing as after-birth depression in fish?

I've checked all other aspects (temperature, ammonia, lighting, even salt), and they're OK. And all other fish (guppys, mollys, platys, swords) are doing fine. Her own fry are in excellent condition, roaming the bottom like a wolfpack, not afraid of the bigger guys, they've grown noticeably in a week!

What Gives? Any clues?

:(

No, neither red marks, nor white spots...
They only anomaly I could muster is a slight bluryness on the top of her eyes, but it looks more like her orange/yellow body color covers them a bit.

this is what happend to my guppy, she wouldnt move at all after giving birth, if she had food then she would get up and then go back down, eventually sadly after a week :( :( :( :( :( :( she died, for no reason what so ever, i have put it down to birth trauma, possibly due to being to young to have fry, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, keep us updated on her condition

It might not be done giving birth or some of the aborted fry are still inside

Try to calm it with some chemicals or just add a bit of aqua salt

....and sometimes they just die.....

Just because she was only 10 days from the LFS doesn't mean that she wasn't old and on her last legs for a last clutch of fry. Sorry.

Agree with try the mashed peas - it could be swim bladder/constipation from her insides getting colic (horse term for internally tangled guts) after giving birth. You can't fix the colic but you can fix constipation or swim bladder with a little luck.

Update:
I did the smashed pea part, but not the isolating part, as I deemed her sickness as not contagious. Well, the news is she's much better now! It's been a week, and she is Happy go Lucky, and roaming freely around the tank. Once in a while, she takes to harrasing her offspring a bit, chasing after them, but 1) they no longer fit in her mouth, and 2) all mothers do that! And I'm sure they deserve it anyway! So, at least for now... All is Well!!!

:nod:

Thank you all for your advice and concern!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back