Sabertooth Charcin

darknirvana217

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
493
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
orlando, FL US
I have been interested in this species for quite some time and have been thinking about getting one as I have made some room in my tanks. First, what size tank is best for them. Also, has anyone successfully got them onto frozen. I hate doing feeders as i always get ick from the livebearers.
 
I got my ones onto frozen quite easily. I found that they are primarily nocturnal feeders (the big eyes are a give away) and once the tank lights were off and the room lights dimmed they were quite wlling to strike at anything that hit the surface. The food had to make a splash for them to be aware of it so i had to remove the tank cover and throw the food into the tank from 8-10 feet away, this also prevented spooking them by causing movement near the tank as they are very nervous fish. I still employ this method to feed new fish that are reluctant to feed.

I would love to try some Hydrolycus species again but they have such a poor survival rate in captivity that i worry about the ethics of keeping a fish that lasts a year at best in a aquarium, i managed to keep my pair alive for around 6 months and grew them to around 10 inches before they both died within weeks of each other from completely unknown causes.
 
Thanks CFC. Its suprising that a fish like that has such a low survival rate. I may think thi sthen if thats the case. I've heard some similiar issues from other people as well. what size tank would be best for them?
 
I think they all get to similar sort of sizes, up to around 4 feet in the wild and much smaller in captivity. The only species in the group that has a good survival record is Hydrolycus armatus which usually get to about 2 feet in captivity, but they are hard to get and come with a premium price tag.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top