Running the filer

Dennis

Reaction score
Well, I'm just wondering how long you run your filters for during a day. I keep my filter running 24/7 but I have read that some people turn their filters on during night time only ( for the period while the tank lights are off ) in order not to let CO2 out of the water during circulation at daytime.
Duing night time,when the plants absorb oxygen, the filter is on. What do you all think about this??

Just to clear up a thing or two.
Plants absorb CO2 and give out O2. The water get's oxygenated by the breakup(movement of the surface water).
The higher the water temp the more O2 is lost from the water.
With the light off(at night) the plants(like our own)metabolic system is slowed down So I'm not sure if they actualy absorb CO2 or anyother nutrients. I suppose they do but at a slower rate. They do need Sunlight or the right spectrum artificial light for their growth development(photosynthesis)

I have my filter on 24/7 and have all planted tankswith no problems in most but have had a problem with one or two that's improving(Thx Xcrown)(see the gardening section)

I do see you point but I always have them on 24/7 ;)

The fear I would have, would the bacteria dieing off, with the filter being left off for to long a period.

Whats everyone else do?? 8)

:/ 24/7 is best in my opinion. The benificial bacteria that control fish waste die off after a few hours and then have to work so much harder to catch up. I only turn my filters off to clean them. :thumbs:  Mac.

Run them all the time Dennis. I have never heard of doing it otherwise, but I am not all knowing :D
I think we would all have to see a lot of data to the contrary before we added one more thing to turn on and off!

adeyc said:
So I'm not sure if they actualy absorb CO2 or anyother nutrients. I suppose they do but at a slower rate. They do need Sunlight or the right spectrum artificial light for their growth development(photosynthesis)
What happens at night mate (did this exam last week :D )
Is the plants actually respire like us humans taking in Oxygen and giving out Co2 !! That is why there used not to be plants in hospitals but now they have airconditioning its a bit different.

The cloroplasts and inside chlorophyll need the light to be able to carry out the photosynthesis reaction. So at night while they still need energy they respire like animals :laugh:

Any more questions :D

William. Glad to here your doing biology at school. :) I didn't we were only allowed to take 2 science subjects so Chemistry and physics was my thing. :laugh:

OK just to clear this up ...........lol

DO NOT!! turn off your filtration overnight as you will kill all the bacteria with and cause massive pollution spikes in your aquariums eccosystem the resulting problems will be dead fish or at the very least sick fish!! :(

Always leave your filters running 24/7 and only switch off to clean or move them as this short period of time will not harm them :D

I have never heard of anyone switching their filters off overnight but then you hear alsorts in here lol :p ;) :laugh:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back