FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I know I've brought this up on a number of occasions, but could I keep 6 rummy nose tetras in a 29g tank, along with 8 neon tetras? I think they would do really good together. Some people on TFF say they need more swimming room? But I just cleared out a Ton of plants, so now the tank is really clear/open. (See my latest thread for photos)

If they can not work, what other schooling fish could I get? Any other type of tetra? (I have seen silver tip tetras, would these work?) I just need opinions.

@Colin_T, @Byron, @seangee

First issue, number. This is a species that needs to be larger, and I would never go under 9-12 but 15-20 would be better for the fish. This is a tight shoaling species, and it simply does not look good in smaller numbers aside from the fish itself.

Second issue, tank space. This species does like to swim lengths more than most other characins. A 3-foot (90 cm) length tank is or should be minimum.

As for suitable shoaling tetras, there are dozens. We would need to know the other fish in the tank. If neon tetras are it for the moment, then presumably you want to stay with less active fish, so many of the "Rosy" tetras are suited. Perhaps pencilfish. Hatchetfish.

First issue, number. This is a species that needs to be larger, and I would never go under 9-12 but 15-20 would be better for the fish. This is a tight shoaling species, and it simply does not look good in smaller numbers aside from the fish itself.

Second issue, tank space. This species does like to swim lengths more than most other characins. A 3-foot (90 cm) length tank is or should be minimum.

As for suitable shoaling tetras, there are dozens. We would need to know the other fish in the tank. If neon tetras are it for the moment, then presumably you want to stay with less active fish, so many of the "Rosy" tetras are suited. Perhaps pencilfish. Hatchetfish.
Yes neons are all. Cherry shrimp and snails other than that. He mentioned it in another thread :)

I have 12 in a 100cm tank (180 litre) and they are VERY active, more so than my school of tiger barbs (separate tank!), they are constantly on the go.
Beautiful markings and they develop a lime-yellow base colour once settled.
How long is your tank? What is the GH?

My glo light tetras are a little larger than neons but they get along and my glo light tetra seem healthier.

So they wouldn't work in a 29g tank?

Yes @Byron. The only other fish in there are 8 neon tetras. I would like to know another schooling or shoaling fish that could go in with my neons. I just want more action and color in my tank. :)

You might not have got my tag @Colin_T. Will you please put in your option on what would work?

With neons there are lots of other tetras that would work.

If you want a colour to contrast with blue, there are ember tetras. They don't look much in shop tanks, all pale and washed out, but they really live up to their name once they've settled in.
Green? They are not tetras but look at Microdevario kubotai. I've not given a common name because they are called everything from neon green rasboras to green tetras over here.
I've not kept them myself but glowlight tetras are the same size as neons and would go well with them. I don't mean glo tetras but
Hemigrammus erythrozonus.

You could always go with one of the rasboras - harlequin, espe's or hengel's rasboras. I have espe's sold as lambchop or slender rasboras. They school more than tetras do (ie swim together as a group), though they do also swim off on their own.

Look them up on Seriously Fish, see what you think.

Edit to add - I have just read your other post where you say your water is 120 to 180 ppm.
I have daisy's rice fish, Oryzias woworae which would be fine at your GH (mine is really a bit too soft for them :blush: )

Last edited:
I have seen ember tetras at my LFS, they look pretty cool. So would they work in my 120-180 ppm water?

I really don't want to order any fish online, because I want to support my LFS.

They should do, range 90 to 180 ppm. They are smaller than neons but brightly coloured. If you go for them, get a good sized shoal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back