Rubbish Or Not

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

§tudz

A True Oddball
Reaction score
Hi,

ok I've been having this argument with my GF about fish, Apparently someone told her she could keep neons and guppies with her goldfish.

I laughed at her, ok not the best way to start things. but anyway, she reckons she has read on the net you can.

Now all my books and every resource I consult says tropical, which is what I know as true.

So what do you think, I'd say it may be possible but the fish would die pretty quickly, or get eaten by the her LARGE goldfish.

I've told her she could keep clouds but thats it, as she doesnt like weather/dojo loach and hillstream loaches dont do well with her.

So come on and settle this for me plz :good:

Tetras and Guppies are from South America where water is warm. My tank got too cold once and my tetras and guppies died. :( The coldest they could probably stand is 70. They aren't coldwater at all.

If you put tetras and guppys with goldfish they'll get eaten once the goldfish are big enough, simple as that. They also have different temperature requirements, and keeping such fish in the wrong temps will do them any good whatsoever.
Guppys can live in some rather cool temps (going on sub-tropical) but they are not coldwater fish- neon tetras are completely tropical, no matter how you look at them.

I tried it with both guppies and neons. The goldfish ate both of them.
Guppies and tetras(bar a couple of available species) need tropical temperatures over the longrun, and it depends how cold we are talking as to how long they will survive.
If your talking about keeping goldfish ate tropical temperatures, not a good idea. They are alot messier, grow much faster and are much more active. Making them need a much bigger tank.

Sure you can. Same way as you can keep them with an electric eel, or an oscar, or a gulper cat. Whether they'll last long in any of those situations os another matter...

thanks all,

I'll now go and get the "I win! I win! naa! naa! ner!! naa! naa!!" banner out and wave it around :hyper:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back