Rtbs

Assaye

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Points
38
Location
York, UK
A friend of mine has a RTBS that is highly agressive towards everything other than his large, catfish tank mate. He recently killed four young barbs that she foolishly added to his tank, and now she's had enough. She has offered to give him to me.

Her boyfriend killed the last shark they had because it was too aggressive and they both became sick of it killing everything. It's too big to go back to the lfs, as they don't have a tank suitable for a single, large fish. All their RTBSs are babies and so he can't be put with them. I was given the impression that unless I took him in, he'd be . . . dealt with.

I have a cycling 23 gallon, 3 ft long. However, this is not ready for fish yet. I also have a small quarantine tank. Would it be possible to keep him in the little tank (which I know is far too small for long term housing) until I get the big tank sorted? He'd be the only fish in the big tank as I believe 23 gallons is an absolute minimum for a mature RTBS.

They do have the option to keep him as long as they don't add anyone new to the tank but I think they are finding having such an aggressive fish with such restrictive housing needs quite difficult. They don't seem willing to go to the effort of finding him a new home that has a suitable tank so my little quarantine seems to be the only option they'll take.

Thoughts? From my PoV, temporary cramped living space is better than dying.
 
A red tailed black shark needs 40+ gallons I'm afraid.

I would recommend they take the fish back to a fish store or you could advertise it for them on the classifieds section of this forum

Some people may argue that you could put it a 23 gallon on its own as there would be no aggression but it wouldn't have the proper amount of swimming space it would require

Andy
 
A red tailed black shark needs 40+ gallons I'm afraid.

I would recommend they take the fish back to a fish store or you could advertise it for them on the classifieds section of this forum

Some people may argue that you could put it a 23 gallon on its own as there would be no aggression but it wouldn't have the proper amount of swimming space it would require

Andy

well put!
 
Just a quote from the original post

Her boyfriend killed the last shark they had because it was too aggressive

^^ And so they bought a new one? I really don't understand how some people make it out of the house in the morning...

Anyhoo, another vote for arobinson. Some sound advice there!
 
I agree with everyone else 40gals minimum :good:

Your friends seem to have a very odd/ brutal way of fish keeping :blink:

Try explaining to them what you have learnt here and try get them to take a look or even join and ask for advise :good:
 
Thoughts? From my PoV, temporary cramped living space is better than dying.

yeh, its a hard one. but is a fish really better off "alive" if its environment is too small for it to grow, never mind swim? ultimatly thats up to the keeper. but most, if not all, lfs will take fish off your hands (for nothing its true). that, imho, would be a better course of action, than keeping it in an "unsuitable tank.

we have all made mistakes, of this type. and they are often very sad. but learning from the problems of others, hopefully, will help avoid it happening. i only wish that was how it worked in practice. this question comes up, about, once a month. and has done for the three years i have been a member here.

(Lets all remember, the RTBS, is listed a "EW" extinct in the wild. should we not all be trying to keep what's left in good health? there are no more, once the genetics of those now used, gets too polluted to provide viable fish) rant over! lol..
 

Most reactions

Back
Top