Rope Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Boston-Celtic

Reaction score
Hi Yall, i was wondering if anyone knew what is the tankmate compatibilty of the Rope fish? I currently have a 55 gallon at home with 4 African Cichlids, 2 Blood Parrots, 1 Rainbow Shark, and 1 Common Pleco. Would a Rope fish be compatible with my current fish? Ive owned one but i never had it with the fish i have now, sadly it died for some strange reason i dont know. I want to get a new one but does anyone own one that can orient me more on it? :)

If "African cichlids" means Mbuna, then NO! Mbuna will shred the fins from bichirs and ropefish. Have seen them do this, even "peaceful" ones like Labidochromis.

Ropefish are small, gentle members of the family. Keep them with peaceful, schooling midwater fish. And of course in groups of three or more, as singletons rarely do well for long, and often, as you perhaps saw, die for no obvious reason. Good companions are x-ray tetras, glassfish, platies, halfbeaks, five-banded barbs, etc.

Plecs are risky. Sometimes they're okay, but sometimes they rasp away at the flanks of the bichir or ropefish, leaving sores that become infected. If you must have an algae eater, use either nerite snails or one of the bristlenose plecs, Ancistrus spp.

Cheers, Neale

Hi Yall, i was wondering if anyone knew what is the tankmate compatibilty of the Rope fish? I currently have a 55 gallon at home with 4 African Cichlids, 2 Blood Parrots, 1 Rainbow Shark, and 1 Common Pleco. Would a Rope fish be compatible with my current fish? Ive owned one but i never had it with the fish i have now, sadly it died for some strange reason i dont know. I want to get a new one but does someone own one that can orient me more on it? :)

If "African cichlids" means Mbuna, then NO! Mbuna will shred the fins from bichirs and ropefish. Have seen them do this, even "peaceful" ones like Labidochromis.

Ropefish are small, gentle members of the family. Keep them with peaceful, schooling midwater fish. And of course in groups of three or more, as singletons rarely do well for long, and often, as you perhaps saw, die for no obvious reason. Good companions are x-ray tetras, glassfish, platies, halfbeaks, five-banded barbs, etc.

Plecs are risky. Sometimes they're okay, but sometimes they rasp away at the flanks of the bichir or ropefish, leaving sores that become infected. If you must have an algae eater, use either nerite snails or one of the bristlenose plecs, Ancistrus spp.

Cheers, Neale

Hi Yall, i was wondering if anyone knew what is the tankmate compatibilty of the Rope fish? I currently have a 55 gallon at home with 4 African Cichlids, 2 Blood Parrots, 1 Rainbow Shark, and 1 Common Pleco. Would a Rope fish be compatible with my current fish? Ive owned one but i never had it with the fish i have now, sadly it died for some strange reason i dont know. I want to get a new one but does someone own one that can orient me more on it? :)

They are, i do own Mbuna A. Cichlids, i guess thats a NO! It really sucks, i guess i would have to put the Rope fish in a different tank if i did buy one. When i had my Rope fish i had it with Tiger Barbs and a Common Pleco aswell. They got along great i never saw any agression towards each other, and i would often see them together my Rope fish and Pleco resting alongside one another in peace. & Thank you for replying i really appreciate your help. Youve helped alot.

Ropefish are great fish as you know

I kept 4 big ones for a couple of years and they are one of the best oddball fish around. Very attractive looking when they go all olive coloured very active and easy to feed. Mine eat whatever frozen prawns or pellets went in for anything else.

I kept mine with bigger fish like oscars, fire eels,knifefish and bichirs and had no issues at all. Having seen a big one fit a lancefish in its mouth I;d be nervous having small fish in there but I can;t talk from experience of keeping smalller fish with a ropefish

Ropefish are great fish as you know

I kept 4 big ones for a couple of years and they are one of the best oddball fish around. Very attractive looking when they go all olive coloured very active and easy to feed. Mine eat whatever frozen prawns or pellets went in for anything else.

I kept mine with bigger fish like oscars, fire eels,knifefish and bichirs and had no issues at all. Having seen a big one fit a lancefish in its mouth I;d be nervous having small fish in there but I can;t talk from experience of keeping smalller fish with a ropefish

They are very attractive, ive seen the olive green colored ones. The one i had was a brown one though still very eye catching and beautiful none the less. What kind of pellets did you feed your Rope Fish by the way? :huh: I have African Mbuna Cichlids, and the other guy said it wasnt a good idea to put the Rope Fish in with them. They will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so small fish definately shouldnt be in the same tank as them for they will go missing.

Most reactions

Back