Rope Fish And Axolotls Together?

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
Has anyone kept these two together before? I have a rope fish and wanted an axolotl but I was wondering if they could be tank buddies. My rope fish is a nice peaceful little guy (about 10 inches) whose only interest lies in mysis shrimp.( took me a week to convince him to eat anything at all.) There seems to be about a 2 degree difference in their water temp so I wonder if the axolotl would be okay. Since I don't really do anything to maintain that 18 degree temp. (Living in Canada means everything is cold with no effort haha) if anyone has tried this please tell me how it went and how you did it :)

Bad idea.

Axolotls need room temperature water to do best; ropefish are of course tropical fish. Ropefish are highly social and do best in groups; axolotls are vicious and bite chunks out of each other, let alone any small fish kept with them.

While I haven't heard anyone keep this precise combination, I do know that almost all fish/axolotl combos turn out badly. In fact even keeping two axolotls together can be tricky, though given space, it's perfectly doable.

Cheers, Neale

Has anyone kept these two together before? I have a rope fish and wanted an axolotl but I was wondering if they could be tank buddies. My rope fish is a nice peaceful little guy (about 10 inches) whose only interest lies in mysis shrimp.( took me a week to convince him to eat anything at all.) There seems to be about a 2 degree difference in their water temp so I wonder if the axolotl would be okay. Since I don't really do anything to maintain that 18 degree temp. (Living in Canada means everything is cold with no effort haha) if anyone has tried this please tell me how it went and how you did it :)

Bad idea.

Axolotls need room temperature water to do best; ropefish are of course tropical fish. Ropefish are highly social and do best in groups; axolotls are vicious and bite chunks out of each other, let alone any small fish kept with them.

While I haven't heard anyone keep this precise combination, I do know that almost all fish/axolotl combos turn out badly. In fact even keeping two axolotls together can be tricky, though given space, it's perfectly doable.

Cheers, Neale

Okay then, for some reason I was thinking my ropefish needed room temp ....I must have misread that for axolotls and confused it lol. *fixing problem now*

Alright, I guess I'll just have to wait it out till I upgrade my goldfish to a bigger tank and move everyone over, then I'll have a spare tank for an axolotl. I only plan to keep one anyways, my mom is creeped out by them XD. The only thing is that there is a breeder selling then right now and I worry that by the time everything is sorted out they won't have any left. The only tanks I have though are tiny 3g plastic tanks :(

I'll get him a friend when the tanks are upgraded :)

Hi I also have a question about my ropes.... I have a 60 gallon tank and has been set up for 6 months and I have had the ropes in there for 4 months...my tank is solely dedicated to them and their food (rosey reds) I also have 1 large snail.... For the past 4 months both ropes ( a male and a female) have always stayed in their own caves and not very active they would only come out to eat and go up for air on occasion. In the past week both have been very very active swimming all over the tank...up and down a lot more than across and they do that for a good ten minutes then take a break and start doing it again... It used to be they didn't even go around each other and now they swim and wrap around each other ( their not fighting cause I've seen them do that early on when I first got them). They are both eating Fine and look great...they haven't been swimming upside down or seem to have any problems swimming... I'm just curious to know if it has taken them that many months to get comfortable and venture thru the tank for more than just feeding or if something may be wrong with them....I honestly didn't know that a nocturnal fish would be this active through the day with all the lights on in the tank...any advice or suggestions would be grateful!

Hi I also have a question about my ropes.... I have a 60 gallon tank and has been set up for 6 months and I have had the ropes in there for 4 months...my tank is solely dedicated to them and their food (rosey reds) I also have 1 large snail.... For the past 4 months both ropes ( a male and a female) have always stayed in their own caves and not very active they would only come out to eat and go up for air on occasion. In the past week both have been very very active swimming all over the tank...up and down a lot more than across and they do that for a good ten minutes then take a break and start doing it again... It used to be they didn't even go around each other and now they swim and wrap around each other ( their not fighting cause I've seen them do that early on when I first got them). They are both eating Fine and look great...they haven't been swimming upside down or seem to have any problems swimming... I'm just curious to know if it has taken them that many months to get comfortable and venture thru the tank for more than just feeding or if something may be wrong with them....I honestly didn't know that a nocturnal fish would be this active through the day with all the lights on in the tank...any advice or suggestions would be grateful!

Ropefish are pretty social so I don't think they would be fighting. I know that my Ropefish is actually extremely active even though he lives alone, I find him swimming all around when I come home from school at noon. He's not just coming out in the day but also at night as well. He's even wrapping himself around the filter tubes right now. When I first got my Ropefish, he refused to eat for an entire week. So it does take them quite sometime to begin getting adjusted to their environments. He was active even though he didn't eat but yours could just be the opposite. They might just taken some time to adjust, or they were only coming out at night before so you didn't really see them and now they changed up their sleeping schedule a bit.

Most reactions

Back