rolling cory

MXPX4318

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok so I have a cory (well 3) and they are in my quarintine tank (just got them so put in there before going in the 20, had them since last thursday so like 5-6 days) so anyway, today I noticed one of them is rolling (like a dog rolls) on the bottom of the tank (glass bottom besides some gravel used to seed the tank) I checked him and see no signs of white spots as my first guess was ick, plus none of the others are displaying this action. So is this normal? I would think not, what could be some things wrong with him or things I could look for? I'll keep an eye out for white spots (hard to tell with a white cory with only a few black spots (C. Julii) any help would be great.

Yeeeks, almost sounds like fungus or parasites or something. Can you treat the water with Melafix or something like that? Definitely don't use salt! There are pics somewhere on this site, on the permanent posts, of fish parasites and so forth. Definitely a few meds will not hurt and doubtless help the little fella. Anything hanging off his gills?

I'm really not seeing anything abnormal at all as far as external features, I even caught him with a clear container against the glass to check him closer and still saw nothing abnormal... I've got some Formalin that I was told to get for treating ich... would that maybe help? should I move the other two cories out? Where to if so, since all I have is my 20g display b/c this is happening in my 10g quarintine, I see no problems with the two others (atleast not in the last 6 days they've all been in there, not even any problems with any of them until tonight) thanks

Hmmm, if he's not showing major signs then this is early on and good chance of fixing it. Those little 1 gallon glass bowls that people sometimes put Bettas in, that sell for about $5 make excellent temporary hospital tanks for treating one fish. I use stuff like Melafix...the general all purpose meds if not sure what's wrong, rather than more specific "one illness" medicines. Hmmm, rubbing against the bottom indicates usually irritations....I suddenly wondered if he/she was abit constipated or something....I just found a site that is a step by step disease identifier. If you wish to go over there. I wonder if I'm allowed to post the site here? www.versaquatics.com/tropical_fish_diseases.htm One of their things is a diagnoser. You can input the symptoms and it should give you the answers. Hope it helps!

And please don't anybody get mad if I wasn't supposed to type in the link. -_- I'm just trying to help. Okay? :whistle:

thank you for your reply, I hope he can make it day without treatment as it's 12 20am and no fish place will be open at the moment, I'll be sure to get some melafix and maybe invest in a nice betta bowl (will he need a filter in there, and how long should he be treated?

It says right on the bottle the treatment schedule....its miniscule. Mine says add 1 tsp for every 10 gallons daily for 7 days, so you're looking at a drop or 2 max in a 1 gallon every day. And then they say 25% water change but they're talking about in a regular aquarium here. It smells really mediciny too. Different people swear by different meds, many opinions around here. Melafix is an antibacterial remedy.

Do you have any water treatment stuff there, right now, like Aqua Pure? I use it to get the chlorine and metals out of my tap water before doing water changes in my tanks but it also treats cuts and wounds and coats fins and scales to protect against scrapes and cuts and to heal them. It also works as a fish destressor. Hmm, fishy tranquilizers? Who knew? :) I was just thinking if you had something like that around it might mention the doseage and you could use some and that would be good for overnight treatment for him. It says to double the usual amount for treatment and protection of scales and fins.

I found with the round bowls that there's enough surface area that a filter isn't needed though you could put a mini airstone in it if you wished. The coreys do dart to the surface to pick up air anyways(and to scare my guppy fry!). It would depend on what you got as to how long treatment would be. He might pick up and be fine just on getting abit more of Aqua Pure or the like. On the other hand by tomorrow he might be showing stronger signs. Do cut and paste that site and check out the fish diagnoser. They might ask something we've missed and I'm no genius. Hope he's okay tomorrow.

well he made it through the night ok, and I doubled up the dosage of Tetraaqua Aquasafe (which says it helps with cuts, and increasing slimecoat) and so I'll keep a good eye on him and we'll see how it goes from there. It's really hard to diagnose him right now, since the only thing I've got to go by is the erratic Rolling that he was doing (and it's not constantly like right now he's swimming around with the crew like everything is fine) so I'll keep a close eye on him and see if any other signs pop up today. Thanks again for your comments and help.

definetly not whirling disease, maybe I should explain my fishes behavior better, he doesn't constantly roll around, it's like he'll be swimming fine (like he's did all day yesterday decided to roll some more today) then he'll just nose dive and roll over, like he's doing it on purpose, I mean do fish play like this? I mean I've been watching the three of them swim all over the place today and yesterday, and sometimes the one will just roll... I mean I don't see any external problems at all with him, still keeping a close eye, no sign of slwoing down, still eats fine, swims fine just has spurts where he likes to roll. Just concerned me b/c I've never seen it before, I'll continue to keep an eye on him.

PS I thought cories were bottom dwellers, my cories are ALL OVER THE PLACE! I mean they swim up and down and across and everywhere, right now they're all three swimming up the glass, across the surface and back down the other side, just enjoying themselves I guess, I'm sure enjoying watching them.

If the fish seems like it is having trouble stabilizing itself and keeping its balance in the water, it's usually an indication of swim bladder complications. I really wouldn't treat the fish unless you see some definite signs of a particular disease, as you may be doing more harm than good with the meds.

David said:
If the fish seems like it is having trouble stabilizing itself and keeping its balance in the water, it's usually an indication of swim bladder complications. I really wouldn't treat the fish unless you see some definite signs of a particular disease, as you may be doing more harm than good with the meds.
Thank you David :) That's the best advice I've seen on this entire thread. :nod:

NEVER treat an illness that you cannot identify because you may get rid of the very symptoms that will identify the disease, while not curing it. If this happens, the fish will get sicker and might be too far gone before you determine what actually is wrong.

While corys can get ich, they are very resistant to it and seldom do. In an ich infested community tank they might be the last fish to be effected by it or they might not get it at all. If there is white spots or patches on a cory, it is most likely a bacterial infection.

Another thing that can go wrong with treating before you have a diagnosis is that to cure ich, the temperature should be raised, while to treat bacterial infection, it should be lowered. The wrong treatment could be disastrous. And too, sometime a medicine cannot be used while another medicine is in the water and this means an additional delay while the tank is cleaned.

In this case, it does sound like a swim bladder problem, but that can also be caused by an injury. Unless you have some other reason to think it was caused by something else, a good assumption might be that it was injured while being netted and moved from the store to your tank.

Give it some time because there might not be anything you can do. Often it will heal by itself, or the fish will die. If the other fish are showing symptoms, however, something will need to be done, but their symptoms might point the way to a good diagnosis of the actual problem.

Do keep the water very clean and fresh by doing extra water changes. Keep the temperature around 75 degrees and add an airstone if possible. Make sure your chemical readings show 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. These things will reduce the possibility of bacteria spreading if it is a bacterial infection, but they will not disturb your beneficial bacteria.

Good luck and let me know how your fish is progressing. :D

Well said inchworm. I agree. :clap: :clap:

Can I also add that, if at all possible you should find out why the fish became ill. 99% of the time there is always a reason, your water chemistry, something you have done, something that has changed or been added. :sick:

Fish do not just get ill for no reason. You may get one that has something wrong with it like a tumor or something but this is not so common and when it affects more than one fish, there will be a reason. :unsure:

A lot of people post with 'fish have got xyx again, and then again, if you are getting repeated illness's look into why, there will be a reason, try to prevent it happening again rather than just chuck in the medication. Prevention is always better than cure. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back