Rocky is getting old

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Rocky2287

Reaction score
Almost 3 years ago I inherited a veil tale betta from a teenager who bought him at major chain pet store in a cup. She was visiting a friend for the summer and without thinking she couldnā€™t of course take him home on the plane. Iā€™ve done my best to give him a good life these past 3 years. Heā€™s getting old, his blue color is getting dark and his fins look thin, he sleeps a lot and has not built a bubble nest in about a year and half. I moved him from a 5 gallon to a 3 gallon hoping it would help him get to the top more often. But he continues to sleep on the bottom and not swim like he used to. This past week Iā€™ve found him stuck to the filter 2 times. Iā€™ve turned it off. Now should I move him to a small tank or bowl since Iā€™m not going to have the filter? When or should I consider putting him down? How do I do that? Never was a pet person but Iā€™ve grown attached to Rocky and want to do right by him. It stresses him a lot when I use the net, I just hate to have to catch him to move him to clean his tank.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Any chance of a picture or your betta? What are your water parameters? What is your GH? How often do you clean the filter?

Welcome to the forum, 3years is the average life span but some live to 4-5 years. I would have left him in the 5 gallon but now that he is in a 3 gallon I would not move him to a smaller tank. You do not have to move him when cleaning. use a small aquarium vacuum or a hose and remove about 1/2 the water and make sure you use a water conditioner on the new water.

Hi and welcome to the forum. As pointed above me, 3 years is the average life span for bettas, though some live to 4-5 and possibly 6 years with really good care! And I agree with @Retired Viking , I wouldn't actually move him to even smaller tank since he is not getting up to the water surface.
As mentioned in the second post, what are your water parameters, ammonia nitrite and nitrate? What is your GH and how often are you cleaning the filter?
Is there a heater in the tank?

Maybe you should provide a betta hammock or set up something else for him to rest nearer to the surface. I put an upside down long stemmed wine glass with anubias glued to the top where he can rest near the surface.

Last edited:
Maybe you should provide a betta hammock or set up something else for him to rest nearer to the surface. I put an upside down long stemmed wine glass with anubias glue to the top where he can rest near the surface.
That's a great idea!

Here is my upside down wine glass resting spot for Marley ( named after Bob Marley)
A1C33880-BF07-411A-A7F2-47B669CC44B0.jpeg

You could also get some Anacharis, and let it grow up to the surface. My betta really likes to rest on top of this plant in my 10g tank.
6513A40D-7276-43E2-9C6E-5D0F8DECC64C.jpeg

My betta loves sleeping and resting on his his anubias heterophylla
I wish my Anubias would grow bigger. (You can see it sort of in the middle, near the dragon stone)

I cut that little piece off of my big Anubias in my 29g tank. :)

I have a spare leaf of my anubias heterophylla floating in my tank.
I wish my Anubias would grow bigger. (You can see it sort of in the middle, near the dragon stone)

I cut that little piece off of my big Anubias in my 29g tank. :)
It takes years for Anubias to fill out as they are a slow grower. Here is my 29 gallon tiger barb tank. I initially planted 3 or 4 tiny plants. Here is how they look after about 5 years. I attached them to a large arch shaped piece of malasian driftwood. I use hardly any ferts. The fish like to swim through the arch. A couple of the plants were anubias nana and one was a regular anubias. The other plant is hygrophilia deformis which grows very fast.
D081A335-E189-4F63-ACB1-52717378FC60.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back