Rockets

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ooh ! Copyright 1967. That's got to be good @Oblio . That was my heyday for model rockets , late 60's early 70's. I remember when Estes came out with the "D" engine and now they have "E" and "F" before you jump up to high power. Need a lot of open ground for recovery with those I bet. I successfully flew a three stage but couldn't get the hang of Boost Gliders. Aerodynamics are tricky and precise . No room for by guess or by gosh.

Yep, the mighty "D", my first was the 'Goblin', took a heaping helping of allowance to fire that one off.

Have you seen the low impulse amateur rockets with gimbals that have a much better scale WRT velocity, rather than going "SWOOOSH!"?

@GaryE will eventually bring us back around on topic but since this thread has been turned into a model rocketry thread , so be it. My first "D" was the pointy nosed Cherokee D . That one was a great flyer. Almost as good as my Astron Sprint with a C6-7 in it. Never have seen or heard of low impulse rockets but it would be nice to actually see them fly off the pad instead of hearing the whoosh and then craning your neck and squinting into the sky to try and spot a speck of nothing two thousand feet away.

@GaryE will eventually bring us back around on topic but since this thread has been turned into a model rocketry thread , so be it. My first "D" was the pointy nosed Cherokee D . That one was a great flyer. Almost as good as my Astron Sprint with a C6-7 in it. Never have seen or heard of low impulse rockets but it would be nice to actually see them fly off the pad instead of hearing the whoosh and then craning your neck and squinting into the sky to try and spot a speck of nothing two thousand feet away.
At one time there was a kit that contained the electronics, sensors, and servos, but it was out of production. With todays inexpensive microcontrollers and sensors it would be pretty easy to design your own. The interesting part is that it is illegal to program a rocket to guide to a particular point in space, which in essence makes it a guided missile. It is legal to provide stabilizing guidance controls.

Not the same company, but check out the video at this link

Model rocketry has advanced to unheard of levels today. Amateur rocketeers are going into orbit and putting up satellites. Take a look at high power rocket videos. Amazing isn't even the word I would use. Slowing down the video has exposed fin flutter , that when corrected , made even higher velocities possible. Ever hear of the Ansari X Prize ? Guys chasing that are modern day Von Brauns.

Amateur rocketry ranks up there as one of the potentially most expensive hobbies/sports- "I had to give up unlimited Air Racing to support my rockets"
A interesting sub-genre is model Water Rockets.

Sorry Gary :whistle:

I may just have to build something. Start off with a simple instrumented rocket to explore onboard sensors, but it may be a 401k busting rabbit hole :)

Most reactions

trending

Back