Robjack's Lowtech 50 Litre Journal [growing]

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Too late now I'm afraid, already ordered the filter :)

Is your Wpg at 1wpg?
Will you add CO2 and fert?

Thanks.

Once I've carried out the lighting upgrade, I'll have closer to 2WPG (one 14w and one 15w tube). I'm not adding CO2, so will have to be careful about algae issues at these light levels. As for ferts, other than perhaps some "Flora Boost" from a bottle that I found lying around in my box of things the other day, I don't intend on adding any.

What do you think of the layout? Any suggestions/criticisms/improvements?

Thanks again,

Rob

I think it's going to look nice, I wish my bedroom was big enough for a fish tank that big. The biggest tank I can fit is about a 1ftx1ftx3ft high, lol. I have a 30" tank downstairs though, so thats alright... I think your plan looks quite good, I need to make a plan, but i'm not sure on how my plants are going to grow, and i'm so picky that i'll make a nice plan, and spoil it.

Neal

The layout is very, very attractive, similar to my low-tech 20, except I'll have a lot more crypts and anubias. With only 1.4WPG, I can't grow much some of the more fancy-schmancies. That's what a high-tech is for! :fun:

You're right at the cusp there, so be very careful. If I had your specs, I would be running CO2. I'll be running CO2 even in my low-tech 20g, just a much weaker mix. My anubias and crypts seem to love it and have never done better. Just something to think about.

llj :)

Plan looks good :) I too would suggest CO2, it is beneficial on most tanks and Im sure your plants will appreciate it :)

Plan looks good :) I too would suggest CO2, it is beneficial on most tanks and Im sure your plants will appreciate it :)

Yeah, trouble is, this tank's going to be neglected quite soon. Early July I'm going to Europe for 6 weeks - 3 of which the tank can be maintained by someone else, the other three it'll be pretty much left to it's own devices. So it's really got to be low-maintainance = no CO2. Not ideal, I know! But when you get the hankerin' for tanks... :p

I was thinking about the lighting issue, and seeing as the two tubes are on different controllers, then I could just control the photoperiod. For example, have a standard 5 on, 2 off, 5 on period, but have the first period @ 1WPG, then the second at 2WPG. Might help resolve the issue?

Hopefully I'll be sealing the tank tomorrow, then plant it on friday.

Cheers,

Rob.

Any change you could get a pressureied system? That you could leave running while you're away?

The plan with the tubes is probably a good one :)

Can I ask why do you set this tank up after you get back? ;)

get yourself 4/5 oto's and 4/5 amano shrimp to combat your algae issues. my 29g tank is roughly the same spec as you but highly filtered and i have no algae probs since i bought my shrimp! not the best way to go about it it i know but it works!

that's the tank i gave you the moss from! i'll try and get some pics up.

that's the tank i gave you the moss from! i'll try and get some pics up.

Moss arrived today, cheers :) I'll be planting the tank about 4pm today (48 hours for the sealant to set and all :hey:). Before I do, I might just pop down to the LFS and see if they've got any decent plants. I've been looking at Water Wisteria and Water Sprite - can anyone describe the differences between the two plants?

Thanks,

Rob.

I planted this afternoon; H. Polysperma, some of Sam's HM, Java Fern, Scott's Java Moss, a bulb, and some cabomba. I'm fairly happy with the left side of the tank, should be good once it's filled out a bit, in the middle I intend to put some crypts at the back, and then replace the Cabomba with a load of Water Sprite (both on order at the LFS). I think this should help it fill in and stop it looking baron like it does at the moment.

I'm not entirely happy with the substrate. You can't really tell from the rubbish photo, but it really is quite light, and the gravel size fairly large. Maybe its lightness is emphasised by the tank's current lack of heavy planting, I suppose it might form a nice contrast once everything fills in.

Anyway, here's how it looks at the moment (notice the uncanny resemblance to my plan, a true show of my incredible photoshop skillz :p )

roomtank01.jpg

The filter's nice and quiet, and the heater should be easily hidden by the crypts. I think the white light on the photo shows the power of the reflector i used as part of the lighting upgrade :blink:

Let me know what you think, it's definately a work in progress!

Thanks,

Rob.

hi, you never told me your specs.

Will you have CO2? Are there any fertilizers? What lighting and how many wpg is the tank? Sorry if i missed this.

Specs are:
  • 24*12*12 15g tank, Rena Filstar i1 internal filtration
  • no CO2
  • Maybe dose some "Flora Boost" after a while - or should I do this from the start?
  • WPG: almost 2 at full lighting, but I'm currently having a photo period of 3 hours @ 1wpg, 2 hours @ 2 wpg, 2 hour siesta, 5 hours @ 2 wpg.
What do you think?

Thanks,

Rob

hello mate good start. that moss on the slate will take about six weeks to get really grown out, or atleast mine did! i'd be ading some sort of fertiser now just half their recomended dose till it grows out a bit. i use tropica master grow. and i'd cut half your lighting for now as well coz your screaming for algea!

Specs are:
  • 24*12*12 15g tank, Rena Filstar i1 internal filtration
  • no CO2
  • Maybe dose some "Flora Boost" after a while - or should I do this from the start?
  • WPG: almost 2 at full lighting, but I'm currently having a photo period of 3 hours @ 1wpg, 2 hours @ 2 wpg, 2 hour siesta, 5 hours @ 2 wpg.
What do you think?

Thanks,

Rob

Oh ok, thanks! This will be an interesting journal. looks good so far.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back