Robjack's Lowtech 50 Litre Journal [growing]

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robjack

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Within a week I'll have an empty but leaky 24*12*12 tank to play with, so I thought I'd do a journal for it.

Aims
  • Create a thriving, lowtech, low maintenance tank
  • Spend as little money as possible
  • Have a tank heavily planted at the back, with a "bay" like area at the front
  • Learn lots, and have fun along the way!
At the moment, I'm in the gathering stage. Currently the tank has one 15 watt 18" tube, giving 1wpg. I want to carry out an upgrade similar to BigC's here, using a 15" tube due to space restrictions in the hood. Given my tight budget, can anyone recommend a ballast and a suitable tube for this job?
I'll be buying a Juwel cabinet thingy for the tank (it's exactly the same size as the Rekord 60), so I hope to just be able to buy everything online.

Next up, filtration. I *could* use the current Undergravel Filtration, but a) It's not good for plants, and b] It's noisy, and the tank will be in my bedroom. So I've been looking at the Fluval Plus range of internal filters. They do the "1" which is "suitable for 40 litres". Given that the tank will be planted, and I don't intend stocking fish with huge bioloads, will this be ok for a 50 litre tank? I assume an internal will be less noisy than the pump-driven UGF?

Once the tank is ready, I'll be sealing the leak (relatively small) with some Aquarian Sealent. Might go looking for some bogwood tomorrow, I hope to have that with plants on/surrounding it at the back, then a nice open foreground area. Themuleous kindly sent me some of his HM yesterday, so I might take a bit of that from my 180l tank and put it in this once we're up and running, other than that I'm thinking of Java Ferns/Moss, Anubias Petites, maybe a bulb, some Crypts. And the fast growers to beat off any initial algae.

So there we have it :)

Cheers,

Rob.

Cant believe no one replied to this, naughty TFF'ers ;)

Looking forward to seeing it all up and running :) as to your questions...

Given my tight budget, can anyone recommend a ballast and a suitable tube for this job?

Sorry I cant recommend a ballast but I have Arcadia ones and they work well for me.

Given that the tank will be planted, and I don't intend stocking fish with huge bioloads, will this be ok for a 50 litre tank?

I have always been a great believer in over filtering a tank even one that is under stocked. I would much rather spend a bit more on a decent filter and less on something else, it is your fishes health were talking about at the end of the day. And yes an internal is far better than an UGF, especially if you have plants.

Themuleous kindly sent me some of his HM yesterday, so I might take a bit of that from my 180l tank and put it in this once we're up and running, other than that I'm thinking of Java Ferns/Moss, Anubias Petites, maybe a bulb, some Crypts. And the fast growers to beat off any initial algae.

Plant list sounds fine, you'll need to put some root tabs under the cryps to help them along, that is unless you're planning to have a plant substrate? Probably not if you're on a budget. That said a box of laterite is around 20quid and a box of 10 Seachem tabs are 13quid so a planted substrate might work out cheaper in the long run.

Oh and I wouldn't bother putting the HM in this tank, it needs good light, CO2 and a plant substrate to do well so this tank doesnt sound right for it.

Keep us posted re the progress :)

Sam

Cant believe no one replied to this, naughty TFF'ers ;)

I was under the rock again and missed this thread. :lol: You'll notice people here have quirky sense of humors around here.

I am also planning a low-tech setup, a 20g, but I'll have 1.4-1.5WPG. With 1WPG, I recommend Egeria najas as a suitable stem plant. It is more tolerant of warmer temperatures than Egeria densa (Anacharis, elodea) and grows quite well. Another good stem plant is hygrophila polysperma. I can't find it too much in the states anymore, it's a noxious weed where I live, but you might be lucky in your neck of the woods. Both plants may be a bit leggy and grow slower with your light, but they'll grow.

Like Sam, I look forward to seeing this up and running.

llj :)

I've had a similar size tanks running for a while, a juwel record 60.

I have it running on 1 wpg which is fine for the species you mention any higher and you risk algae issues with out co2 IME.

Substrates, the cheapest thing is play sand from do-it-all about £3, instead of root tabs or specialized substrates you could use rabbit poo and crushed terracotta pots for iron, just place bit under you plants especial the crptos.
A good quality liquid fert once a week helps as well.

If it is a juwel tank the filters are fine, but i recommend you add a pipe to the pump to divert the flow of water down as they turn the water up on the surface driving out the co2.
I changed mine for an eheims aquaball, as they take a little less space.

Keep you fish stocks as low a s posibile.

Simon

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll follow Themuleous' advice on getting the larger filter, I'll get the "Plus 2" version of the one I was going to get, which is suitable for up to 90 litres.
As for the lighting, what does anyone else think I should do? I'm quite happy to buy another tube and ballast, which would give me just under 2WPG, but would this just give me loads of algae issues?
For the substrate, I've already got some gravel (normal size), or some sand to use, but I think I'm going to go with the gravel. My LFS does Laterite at something like £12 a box iirc, so I intend on using that.

Just had a French exam (A level), so think I'll treat myself by buying the stuff this afternoon/this evening.

Thanks again,

Rob.

Went down to the LFS and went on a bit of a spree :hey:. They had the stand I wanted at £20 - £10 cheaper than the net when you include postage. Got an arcadia ballast and 14W/15" bulb, a black background, a reflector, and two pieces of Mopani wood that I think will look great when put together (currently soaking). They didn't have any laterite, but given that the Crypts are the only ones that would really use it, I might just go for root tabs as suggested.

Had to rearrange my room a bit to make room, here's how it looks (ready and waiting for the tank).

newtank01.jpg

And an *ahem* artist's impression:

newtank02.jpg

I'll be getting the tank this time next week, in the mean time I'll keep researching and thinking :)

Cheers,

Rob.

Quick question please:

I've just looked more at the Fluval Plus 2 and it's height is listed as 31.5cm = too big for this tank :( Whereas the Fluval Plus 1, whilst only powering up to 40l, would fit perfectly. Are these listed figures strictly water-based instead of tank-size-based; in which case, I could well have a 40 litre aquarium when you factor in the substrate and wood? Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Rob.

Wow, now these look good - and the site seems very cheap, too! You linked to the Rena filters, but I assume you meant to link to the eheims? The Aquaball 2208 looks like the one for me :)

Cheers,

Rob.

Woops did I! I did actually mean the rean ones. have the 2 in my work tank and have seen the 3 they both are good in my books. But the eheim ones look good too and eheim are a good make have one of their externals and its a great filter

Thanks, went for the Rena Filstar i1 in the end. Was browsing Greenline earlier - are Anubias Nana always relatively expensive? (£4) I think I'm going to go for Java Fern (already got some), H. Polysperma (already got some), Java Moss, Wisteria, Crypts, a bulb, and Anubias. Plus a few Cabomba cuttings to help combat algae early on.

Thanks for the advice,

Rob.

I have to say I think it might have been a mistake, that filter is only rated for tanks up to 50l you may find that you have to clean it out more than once a week to keep it a peak effiency. I appreciate that it is cheap but the Filstar 2 would have been a better choice IMHO.

Anyhoo, hope the filter proves me wrong :) let us know how the tank goes

Sam

I was bored so decided to make a planting plan. Took a picture of the wood on the stand and photoshopped the rest in. Here's how I think it might look:

plans.jpg

Top left is some of Sam's HM - I figured I'd give a little bit of it a try in this tank. It will be on a raised gravel section, so closer to the light than everything else.
Front left is Java Moss, then next to that a bulb (duh :p )
On the bogwood are the Java Fern plantlets, and behind them some Cabomba.
Next to that on the far right I'll put either some Water Sprite or Water Wisteria. I've yet to decide which, any advice?
Front right is H. Polysperma, got loads of that in another tank at the moment waiting to be used.
You can't see it in the pic, but on the far left of the bogwood it sort of forms a bridge, which could provide shade for an Anubias Nana.

Let me know what you all think :)

Thanks,

Rob.

Hi. I have an 18x12x12 11gallon tank and the fluval fits perfectly.

I think its 7-8 inches tall and is perfect for me! The box is 30cm tall, you were misleaded!

I dont know if i missed it but:

Is your Wpg at 1wpg?
Will you add CO2 and fert?

Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back