Rivet, the killer frog

eudielynn

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have three ADF's. First of all I am sure they are African Dwarf Frogs and not African Clawed Frogs. One of them has suddenly started trying to attack the fish. He actually killed a ghost shrimp over the weekend and tried to eat it, but it concerns me that he is suddenly trying to attack my betta and my gouramis. He only does it when they are close to the bottom of the tank, but he sits poised for them until they swim close enough and then he jumps at them. He has hit them a couple of times, but of course they are much larger and just swim away from him. -_- He is the only one of the three that is doing this and it has just started in the last week. Any ideas out there? :dunno:

Sounds like you have an exception to the "African dwarf frogs are very peaceful" rule. Your frog could be hungry, territorial, confused, or any combination of those :)

Well, frogs have very poor eyesight and aren't terribly bright, so they will generally snap at anything that comes near enough to them. Usually, after nibbling the fin of a Betta and figuring out that a) The betta isn't a viable food source, and B) the Betta bites back!, they give up and look for food elsewhere.

I'd say he's probably hungry more than anything, and you should increase his food allowance. Try using a turkey baster and putting the food directly down in front of him. Make sure it's frozen bloodworms or live blackworms so he'll readily accept it as food.

They are in a 20 gal community tank with lots of hiding places, plants, etc. I guess it could be a food issue, because it usually happens during feeding time. I put flake in first for the danios and then I put in the betta pellets which the gouramis also eat. By then the frogs have usually come out of hiding and I put the bloodworms in right in front of them. Rivet will stand guard over the food and then jump at the fish as they swim by. Don't think he's really that hungry because he doesn't start eating right away. He must just be a selfish little pig that doesn't want to share. :p Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back