River Shrimp / Ghost Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting my Convicts (2inch to 2.5 inch) and Midas (2 inch to 2.5 inch) some live River Shrimp / Ghost Shrimp today.

these are the "see through" shrimps, you know the cheap ones

My concerns

1. are these nutitionally relevant to fish, they look like they about 99% water these things!!!!!

2. whats the risk of introducing disease? i know theres always SOME risk with everything but what can peeps tell me about river Shrimp and risk??? My local LFS for river shrimps isnt exactly a beacon of excellence and i would not buy fish from this LFS

3. How can i reduce any risk, stick the shrimp in with some Protozin? or some other medication or substance?

4. Is the risk likely to be more Bacterial than Parasite?

Please answer, gonna buy them later today if i feel its worth the risk.

I was thinking about getting my Convicts (2inch to 2.5 inch) and Midas (2 inch to 2.5 inch) some live River Shrimp / Ghost Shrimp today.

these are the "see through" shrimps, you know the cheap ones

My concerns

1. are these nutitionally relevant to fish, they look like they about 99% water these things!!!!!

2. whats the risk of introducing disease? i know theres always SOME risk with everything but what can peeps tell me about river Shrimp and risk??? My local LFS for river shrimps isnt exactly a beacon of excellence and i would not buy fish from this LFS

3. How can i reduce any risk, stick the shrimp in with some Protozin? or some other medication or substance?

4. Is the risk likely to be more Bacterial than Parasite?

Please answer, gonna buy them later today if i feel its worth the risk.

I wouldn't worry...

Ghost shrimp are a nice treat. My angelfish love them. They'll enjoy trying to catch the fast little buggers. I think you worry too much. I'm sure they're fine. :)

Great as food, even better if you gut load them with spirulina flake or other good quality flake food

Freshwater crustaceans are without a doubt the best food for cichlids, they are the primary food source for most south american cichlids in the wild.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back