What's new

RIP betta...

Barry Tetra

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
My betta just died, I dont know the problem but the guppy grass tied the betta dead body.
Can guppy grass (or water sprite) tied a betta to death, I cannot forgive my self right now.
Tank is 3.5 Gals with overstock plants
Parameters;
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
@Deanasue @PheonixKingZ @TheTenthDoctor

Attachments

FishkeeperLinz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My betta just died, I dont know the problem but the guppy grass tied the betta dead body.
Can guppy grass (or water sprite) tied a betta to death, I cannot forgive my self right now.
Tank is 3.5 Gals with overstock plants
Parameters;
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2
@Deanasue @PheonixKingZ @TheTenthDoctor
So sorry for the loss. In answer to your question, being tied down by the plants ans unable to free himself would be very stressful for the fish, and could lead to death, but it could also be the case that he became entangled post mortem.

How old was the fish?

These things happen. You weren't to know. Please be kind to yourself.

OP
Barry Tetra

Barry Tetra

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
So sorry for the loss. In answer to your question, being tied down by the plants ans unable to free himself would be very stressful for the fish, and could lead to death, but it could also be the case that he became entangled post mortem.

How old was the fish?

These things happen. You weren't to know. Please be kind to yourself.
He is 3 years old, everytime the fish die I always blame myself for everything, I lost lots of fish... (and im an OCD person)

Last edited:

Colin_T

Reaction score
Plants don't attack or tie down fish. Fish die or are sick and get washed into the plants and it looks like they are tangled up in the plants.

If you still have ammonia in your well water, you need to sort that out because it won't be helping any of the fish.

OP
Barry Tetra

Barry Tetra

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Plants don't attack or tie down fish. Fish die or are sick and get washed into the plants and it looks like they are tangled up in the plants.

If you still have ammonia in your well water, you need to sort that out because it won't be helping any of the fish.
Ammonia is 0, we already sort that out, putting cycle bacteria in the well. Is it possible that he starve to death? I feed him 2 pellets every other day.

Last edited:

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I’m sorry for your loss...

Are you saying you think the betta got tied up in the guppy grass and it got suffocated?

OP
Barry Tetra

Barry Tetra

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
That is very unlikely that he got stuck there and died. Did he look bloated in any way? Were his eyes glazed over?
No, he look normal... its weird. Is it possible that betta choke food? Food is Tetra Bits

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
He is 3 years old, everytime the fish die I always blame myself for everything, I lost lots of fish... (and im an OCD person)
3 years is a long life for a captive betta. Don’t beat yourself up. I’ve never heard of a fish getting entangled in plants.