Rimless tank lid question?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I am a Newby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Dont know where to post this so i try here.
On rimless tank i made this lid from wooden picture frame thats sints oside tank and has lip that just hangs on glass so its flush with tank all arround.
On top of frame i siliconed 2 part glass lid that has silicone hinge so i can open front part and back part marked in red on pic is glued to frame.
Now i wonder since frame is tight fit and glass is completly closeing top should i drill some holes in glass for gass exchange as as it stands now its almost hermeticly sealed very small gap for air left baraly noticable? Yellov is where i can drill just wondering if i have to is 10 x 2mm hole enough? ( only have 2mm glass bit so cant make bigger holes.

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_125023.jpg
    IMG_20220511_125023.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 36
Dont know where to post this so i try here.
On rimless tank i made this lid from wooden picture frame thats sints oside tank and has lip that just hangs on glass so its flush with tank all arround.
On top of frame i siliconed 2 part glass lid that has silicone hinge so i can open front part and back part marked in red on pic is glued to frame.
Now i wonder since frame is tight fit and glass is completly closeing top should i drill some holes in glass for gass exchange as as it stands now its almost hermeticly sealed very small gap for air left baraly noticable? Yellov is where i can drill just wondering if i have to is 10 x 2mm hole enough? ( only have 2mm glass bit so cant make bigger holes.
I think it would be a good idea, if you are making something near enough air tight its going to cause problems. You could either do the drilled holes or lines to make a grill effect.

Wills

If you are planning lighting you might want to keep the holes away from the lights, depends on the kind of lights. The loose notches I have for airlines and pumpwires seemed to be enough venting on my small tanks.

Ok so its definitly needed to have some holes drilled to let air in. I cant do lines i have small diamond drill bit i tested on peace of glass and its relativly easy to drill holes.
How many you think is gonna be enough if they only 2mm in diamter maybe 15 should do it just to have some air come in and not be sealed completly?

If you are planning lighting you might want to keep the holes away from the lights, depends on the kind of lights. The loose notches I have for airlines and pumpwires seemed to be enough venting on my small tanks.
Lighting is led an it sits on top in midlle so have almost all back part of glas that i can drill its 50 x 20cm back part so i have lots of space.
What procentage of open space in regards on lid surface is it for ur gaps? Like 5% is leftopen or more?

I wouldn't worry. It is physically impossible to make an airtight seal. Personally , I would be glad to have this with small fish that are expert jumpers or with Betta's and Gourami's.
Well i accidently broke glass after i finished drilling 7 x 6mm hole, left it up againt wall to rince of glass dust with shower head and it slide down and broke so im building new one today.
I will post some pics maybe it gives good idea to someone how to build it just got back from store with all items needed. And i have abendoned holes idea have new one.

Well i accidently broke glass after i finished drilling 7 x 6mm hole, left it up againt wall to rince of glass dust with shower head and it slide down and broke so im building new one today.
I will post some pics maybe it gives good idea to someone how to build it just got back from store with all items needed. And i have abendoned holes idea have new one.
Tha kind of thing has happened to me more times than I care to remember. Just finish something up and happy with what I did and it blows up in my face some way. Not laughing but glad to know I'm not the only one that happens to.

So i used picture frame molding and turn it oposite direction so that wooden lip that holds glass in on picture frame is ouside and made frame to fit on top of tank.
So only 5mm lip is on top of tank and lower part sits 1 cm in tank. Rounded front edges to be flush with tank ( curved glass) and cut corner for power cables.
Abbendoned holes and just used 3 pieces of glass so i can leave 5mm gap in back, betwen 2 pieces and in front so that i have in total 1.5cm gap in lenght of entire tank 50cm.
Added ruber handle and now i wait for it to dry so i can remove excess silicone. Will post pic how it sits on tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_143717.jpg
    IMG_20220513_143717.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220513_145131.jpg
    IMG_20220513_145131.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220513_170207.jpg
    IMG_20220513_170207.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20220513_175844.jpg
    IMG_20220513_175844.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 27
Finaly finished with this build now that i have a lid tommorow is hunting for fish day.
Lid turned out great i think sits flush on edge easy to open and acces and has enough gaps for air way better that hole idea i had before .

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_133633.jpg
    IMG_20220515_133633.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220515_133646.jpg
    IMG_20220515_133646.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220515_133720.jpg
    IMG_20220515_133720.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 24
If your going to drill a hole in glass, do it while the glass is a single piece and not attached to anything. Lay the glass down and drill downwards. Then clean it up and build the tank.

Or

get the glass company to drill the hole and buy the glass with the hole already in it.

If your going to drill a hole in glass, do it while the glass is a single piece and not attached to anything. Lay the glass down and drill downwards. Then clean it up and build the tank.

Or

get the glass company to drill the hole and buy the glass with the hole already in it.
Must have missread what i wrote mate i finished drilling 6 holes and was gonna washup glass from glass dust and it slide down and broke ( had it standing up against the wall and shower head had to much pressure so it moved and fall down) i didnt break it while drilling holes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back