Postage & Packaging: £10
Photograph:

Fry:

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

Parents:

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

Also known as the Taiwanese Red Spotted Goby, this species is a fully freshwater river Goby originally from the mountainous areas of Taiwan. I have found them to be a very active species, which also like resting on rocks in the flow using their pelvic suction to remain secure.

They are predominantly a sub tropical species, and in nature will happily live in temperatures ranging from 15 to 24 degrees and maybe higher in the summer. Mine are currently acclimatized to 23 degrees C and are doing very well. Perhaps the most important aspect of care is that they receive a high level of dissolved oxygen, be it from a power head, an air stone or a venturi on a filter. As long as this is provided, then they should acclimatise to most temperatures within the range.

Given that their natural habitat is based around fast flowing water, the best kind of tank setup for these guys would be a sandy or fine gravel base with larger rounded pebbles and wood posing as tree braches and stumps entering the water. When setting up the hard scape, aim to make many small crevices and hiding holes between the rocks and wood. It is here that the fish will make their caves. They also seem to like moss and hardy plants.

A mature set up with high levels of flow are recommended. For a species only tank, aim for 10x plus turnover per hour. If kept with other species, I know from experience that they are able to tolerate at least 35x turnover. Weekly water changes of between 40 and 50% are vital to ensure that nitrate levels remain low. Just remember that they come from a river with fast flowing fresh water and you will be fine.

As long as stable conditions are provided, they do not need a large volume tank, but would be happier with a larger footprint than additional height. I would personally say that the minimum tank size for a pair would be 24x12x12, but if any tank mates are to be kept then go for 36x12x12. They live well along side most mild mannered members of the hill stream loach family, including members of the Sewellia, Pseudogastromyzon and Annamia species. They are also happy with members of the Minnow species and Bamboo Shrimp.

They are primarily a carnivorous species, feeding on live and frozen foods. These fry will happily eat bloodworm, brine and mysis shrimps. They also try to lunch on algae wafers.

My adult Gobies were wild caught, so these fry are all guaranteed F1. They are currently between half an inch and three quarters of an inch. They are around three months old. At this size, they do not show much coloration, as this is something which comes with age. My adults seem to have maxed out at around 2 inches in length.

As always, collection is preferred and I do not mind meeting somewhere local for anyone nearby. Otherwise, I can post by Royal Mail Special Delivery in a well packaged secure box with a heat pack. Please do not ask me to post with a cheaper non guaranteed service, as all requests will be ignored as it is just not fair to the fish.

All negotiations and questions must be posted in this sales thread and NOT by PM.

Communications may only be taken to PM once the sale and price has been agreed upon on the open forum and payment/collection details need to be given. The agreement of the time and date of collection or postage, or confirmation that items have been posted should also be posted in the thread.

Please refrain from commenting unless you are interested in more details or are interested in buying. If you suspect any foul play, please use the report button and the moderating team will deal with all reports.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back