Reticulated Stingray (teacup Size)

Earthling84

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
210
Reaction score
0
Points
0
What temperature should these be kept at? I have my tank around 78F but am thinking it should maybe be raised around 82? I have found different answers on different sites/forums. What would you guys suggest?
 
I suggest you don't get one until you have a tank the right size for it. This will prevent it being in the appalling situation your other fish are currently in.

Please also understand there is no such species as the reticulated stingray - it's a generic term for a number of different species, many of which get very large.
 
STOP BUYING FISH YOU CAN'T CARE FOR.

Seriously, do you listen to what people are telling you? You don't have a tank large enough for a teacup stingray, and even if you did you should sort out the problems with your current stock before you add anything else.
 
I suggest you don't get one until you have a tank the right size for it. This will prevent it being in the appalling situation your other fish are currently in.

Please also understand there is no such species as the reticulated stingray - it's a generic term for a number of different species, many of which get very large.


Really? I knew teacup was a false name, but I thought reticulated was a real type. Huh.

There is a 40gallon breeder tank I have been looking at. I know it would be to small once the stingray go to full adult size, but it does have a very nice sized bottom.

How long does it take for a stingray to grow from 4'' to say 10''?

let me remind everyone quick of the simple question on this page.

What temperature should these be kept at? I have my tank around 78F but am thinking it should maybe be raised around 82? I have found different answers on different sites/forums. What would you guys suggest?

Please stick to topic.

Thanks.
 
OK here I go again :rolleyes: Not sure I should be spending my time on it but:

So my 3 tanks will consist of:
Tank 1 - 55gallon brackish tank
1. 2 Mono Fish
2. 2 Green Spotted Puffers
3. Moray Eel
4. Needle Fish
5. Red Claw Crabs(until they get eaten by puffers)
6. Elephant Nose

Tank 2 - 55 Gallon Freshwater
1. 2 or 3 Bichir (grey, albino?, ornate)
2. Discus
3. Pleco
4. Upside-down Cat
5. Ghost knife(until I get rid of)
6. African Butterfly
7. Peacock Eel
8. Blue Crawfish

Tank 3 - 29 Gallon Freshwater
1. Albino African Claw Frog
2. 2 Tiger Salamanders
3. Firebelly Newt
4. Gold Gourami
5. Albino Bichir?

You call this fixed? This is another situation that needs fixing. It's a tad better, but you'll still need more tanks, I'm afraid. :no:
 
I suggest you don't get one until you have a tank the right size for it. This will prevent it being in the appalling situation your other fish are currently in.

Please also understand there is no such species as the reticulated stingray - it's a generic term for a number of different species, many of which get very large.


Really? I knew teacup was a false name, but I thought reticulated was a real type. Huh.

There is a 40gallon breeder tank I have been looking at. I know it would be to small once the stingray go to full adult size, but it does have a very nice sized bottom.

I said "species", not "type". There is a type of stingray called reticulated, but (as I said) it's a generic term. It's not one species. You need to understand this and understand that any you buy could grow larger than you expect, especially if it's been mislabelled at the LFS.

Absolutely not. No way should you attempt to keep a retic is a 40 gal, not even if it's got the most attractive bottom you can imagine. The bare minimum is 75 gal, and that's both pushing it and debateable. 125 gal is usually the recommended amount.

And before you jump off yet another deep end, read the following slowly: the above volume figures are for one single retic. They're not volumes for multiple retics, nor are they volumes for stingrays plus other species.
 
k cool, i'll skip the 40 breeder and look for a used 75 gallon.


Anyone feel like answering the original question?
 
k cool, i'll skip the 40 breeder and look for a used 75 gallon.


Anyone feel like answering the original question?

Only possible with small species (hence "pushing it" etc). Know the species you intend to buy before you buy it.

Regarding your original question - you should specify species here.
 
It should be noted also that ALL stingrays require excellent water quality and I've read of people saying they need 50% water changes a week due to the fact they eat high protein foods which would quickly spoil the water. The general rule is if you have a fish that maxes at 12 inches then the tank needs to be 24" wide(front to back)(or something like that...someone correct me if I'm wrong..trying to go from memory). I researched stingrays a while back for my 125 gallon tank but decided not to b/c my tanks too narrow at only 18" front to back.

Read this

http://www.fishforums.net/content/Predator...Stingray-Guide/

k cool, i'll skip the 40 breeder and look for a used 75 gallon.


Anyone feel like answering the original question?
Dude, I researched and my 125 wasn't big enough.
 
you should specify species here.

do most reticulated species like about same temps? what do some types of reticulated like for their temperature?
 
If you haven't got anything relevant to contribute to the topic in question, please do not bother posting. I've deleted the pointless posts and please understand that name-calling etc of other member's will result in action being taken by the mods - this is a first and last warning.
 
BTW, I think 78 F is good for most rays. It's generally accepted temp for most tropical species.

==edit
make that tropical fish species
 
Call the pet store and find out the scientific name and we'll help once we know exactly what we're dealing with.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top