Retail therapy - new fish, testing tools, uv sterilisers, reverse osmosis recommendations.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wayfareranima

Reaction score
🌊✨🐋filled with just bought a bunch of new fish feelings 🐠✨🌊

8 Neon tetras and a female betta for my 70l soft water tank, 4 endler guppies for my 180L hard water tank, 8 ghost neo caridina shrimp, plus $40 worth of plants 🌱

Plus new digital 5 in 1 water parameter reader instead of the home chemistry set. 🧪 ⚗️👩🏼‍🔬

Yeah, I may have an issue.
First step is already done, right?
😑

I have a 220L I will begin cycling very soon.
Are UV sterilisers worth it? Or reverse osmosis devices?
Input required.

Both of these items is only usefull when they are needed for a specific reason. UV is for killing stuff. Firstly algae, and after that bacteria and viruses. Most of us do not need to use a UV. That said I do have one. I needed it because I was getting imported fish from water with a pH of about 4.0 and TDS under 20 ppm. Neither of these parameters is very common in the wild or in tanks. I also have an RO/DI unit for these fish. I needed to eradicate potential diseases in the tank before the wild fish went in. In pH water most common tank diseases cabbot survive, so the fish have little or no natiural resisitance to them.

I breed plecos and sometime use the RO/DI water when doing a dry/rainy season simulation. This is a few month process however.

Based on your post I would have assumed you already knew the answers. Otherwise instead of describing your tanks as soft water and hard water, you would have listed the actual parameters. Also, I would assume your tap water is fairly consistant in terms of the parameters. So it cannot be both soft and hard, it is one or the other or else in the middle.

So, I assume you are already doing something in one of those two tanks to change the parameters. I am curious re the actual parameters for both tanks and your tap.

UV is used for one set of reasons and the RO or RO/DI for another set of reasons.

Obe reason for needing a UV unit is often because one is in a higher risk situation regarding disease related issues than we normally encounter in the hobby. But more folks also use them to kill waterborne algae. The main reason for using the RO water is either because one's tap is too nasty or else it is too hard and has a higher pH then wanted/needed. We use the RO to lower hardness and pH. The pH is lowered because RO should have little or no KH whoch is what holds up pH.

I had a bad experience with wasting diseases and microsporodiosis.
I know what they are used for, I am just curious about whether people think they’re worth the investment.

We have naturally very soft tap water, we live in a high altitude mountain town and our town water comes from springs nearby.
The towns infrastructure is all brand new due to needing to be replaced, so it’s very soft.
I have crushed coral bones and sea shells in my planted guppy tank. Epsom salt supplementation occasionally.
Indian almond leaves for my soft water tank.

I have a dusty UV in my fishroom, in a box under the tanks. I used it once to deal with a disease issue, but unless there's a need, I'd save the money.

if your water from the town is soft, RO isn't needed either.

Consider SeaChem Equilibrium: https://www.seachem.com/equilibrium.php

Equilibrium™ is specifically designed to establish the ideal mineral content for the planted aquarium. Equilibrium™ contains no sodium or chloride (which can be detrimental to a planted aquarium at elevated levels). Equilibrium™ is ideally suited for use with RO (reverse osmosis) or DI (deionized) water or any mineral deficient water. Equilibrium™ raises the essential mineral/electrolyte content (General Hardness) of the water to balance with and promote stability of the carbonate hardness.
Guaranteed Analysis
Amounts per 1 g
Soluble Potash (K2O)23.0%
Calcium (Ca)8.06%
Magnesium (Mg)2.41%
Iron (Fe)0.11%
Manganese (Mn)0.06%

My UV has not been used in about 7 or 8 years. I am about to sell my Altums. They will not be replaced.

Yes, we are permitted to recommend products which have worked for us, unless we are connected to the company which makes the product.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back