Restart

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Binge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So the wife and I havde decided mbuna are not for us my lfs is going to tank my remaining 12 tomarrow for a 90 gallon capable filter. I am going to restart the tank with somthing new. We are considering skirt teras or some sort barb or a mix of the two. it is a 55 gallon tank that is currently unplanted as it was all caves for the cichlids.

When I set it up I will rebuild a few of the caves but I have a 5 ft piece of drift wood I am going to cut down a bit so it can go across the center of the tank I will be adding plants to it bit by bit till I am happy with what is in it. The tank is going to hav a 90 gallon capable filter. its an aqueon filter and the water chamer on it is huge so I am going to put extra media in them as well (ceramic rings in nylons seem to make a great little bio bomb)

I want to try and plan this tank out from the start We know we want the red claw crabs, and a large school of one tetra or another (trying to decide between neons and skirts). Any suggestions are welcome we have only been at this like 9 months and there is a lot of fish I do not know about still we just know we want lotsa smaller fish so it is a crazy active tank. with the size filter we are putting on a little over stocking should not hurt :p. We may want some kind of cenetr piece fish also if there are any faily sized fish that would not gobble the tetras.

Just wondering why mbuna not for you? I'm just cycling my first mbuna tank... :-/

Good luck with new fish though.

Collumbian tetra are a lovely looking fish and love heavily planted/woody slow water situations.

Just wondering why mbuna not for you? I'm just cycling my first mbuna tank... :-/

Good luck with new fish though.

They are too aggressive with one another( at least mine were). With what they cost here(12 dollars for babys, and mine were not babys) loosing even one of em pisses me off and I lost 6 in one week because my yellow labs decided they were in charge(8 of em in the tank). Lost 4 acai my male succofli and the smallest of my yellows. Almost lost a metacroma as well but his eye has healed already.(yay for good water conditions not causing infection). Dont get me wrong I like aggressive or even preditory fish.(have bichirs lobsters and a jack dempsy). With the mbuna if ome got hurt catching it to treat it will mean compleately disassembling the tank(my tank has 20+ caves in it). I Just do not have time or resources to maintain what I had in the tank I may eventually try african cichlids again but will go all male peacocks or somthing to that effect. My LFS will give me a fair chunk for them and since half of my yellows came from a fish club auction I am even going to make a profit on them if I get the filter I want for them.

The columbians are pretty.

It's great you can get an Exchange. I hope mine don't end up killing each other as the cost per fish would annoy me too!

I am realy lucky I have a local store that specializes in reptiles but also carries fish. since I started bringing them my lobsters I can bring em any kind of fish I happen to have bred or have and they will trade me for em. They even offered to let me run an account based on "Future Store Credit" I avoided that as it would get me in trouble.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back