Rescuing fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

A

AquaNut

Hi all. I just thought I'd throw this out and see what other people think about it. I've noticed a lot of people on this site talking about rescuing fish from places like Wal-mart and Pet-cetera (I'm not talking about rescuing fish from somebody who already has them and doesn't want them anymore). While I can wholeheartedly understand the desire to take those fish out of their neglectful and inappropriate environments, it seems rather counter-productive to me to purchase them. By purchasing Wal-marts poorly cared for fish, you are opening up the space in their inventory to add a replacement for the one you bought, but even worse, you're telling them, with your consumer dollars (which speak WAY louder than any spoken or written words to a retailer), that you approve of the way they sell their livestock. What possible motivation is there for Wal-mart to change their operating procedures if people buy their fish the way they are? On the other hand, if all experienced aquarists refused to purchase a single fish from them, they'd soon find that their practice wasn't very viable as is, and they'd have to change or cease it. I realise they'd still have lots of newbies buying tanks and fish there, but I bet 'rescue' cases make up a good percentage of their livestock sales.

Just some food for thought.

I agree that buying from poorly kept pet stores keeps the practices going. The best way to show your displeasure with the way that certain stores run (I won't name any places but we all know a few) is to boycott the stores. I refuse to buy fish from the pet store in my local mall because the conditions are terrible. I feel bad for the fish they have there but hopefully if more people refuse to get pets there then the store will be forced to shut down and they won't be able to keep fish in such nasty conditions.

I know, it's true...
I've said it a hundred times myself, I'm only encouraging wally world by buying all of these neglected bettas....but...I can't help it!!! I heard from a store employee that the corporation is considering doing away with live fish all together. For them it's a bajillion dollar a year industry but they lose almost as much as they profit :no:

Thats great! As much as it is terrible for the fish (and the people that buy them) that constantly die in poor environments, it is much better that stores do away with fish selling if they are unwilling to train people to know enough about their business. It would be the equivalent of going to a car dealer and having to read up about the car you want to buy because the dealer just sells cars and doesn't know anything!

wuvmybetta said:
I know, it's true...
I've said it a hundred times myself, I'm only encouraging wally world by buying all of these neglected bettas....but...I can't help it!!! I heard from a store employee that the corporation is considering doing away with live fish all together. For them it's a bajillion dollar a year industry but they lose almost as much as they profit :no:
That's true - live animals are generally a loss leader. It's the tanks, cages, chemicals, food and bedding etc. that makes all the money for pet stores.

I went to Wal-Mart last week and began changing the water that the poor bettas were in! The water was low and filthy. By the time I finished, quite a crowd had gathered and I gave the store manager a nice piece of my mind. When I went in this week, things did look a bit better. Now they just cringe when I walk down that aisle, 'here comes the crazy fish lady'!

pondfreak4365 said:
I went to Wal-Mart last week and began changing the water that the poor bettas were in! The water was low and filthy. By the time I finished, quite a crowd had gathered and I gave the store manager a nice piece of my mind. When I went in this week, things did look a bit better. Now they just cringe when I walk down that aisle, 'here comes the crazy fish lady'!
LOL Good for you! That's the kind of affirmative action the fishies need!! :thumbs:

Respect pondfreek dont thnk i couldget the courage to do anything like that and well just its good theres some ppl that dont think about them selves and wot others think

so good on ya

Most reactions

Back