Rescued A Very Wobbly Danio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

flix_cw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a poorly danio but no hospital tank, so i rescued it this weekend.

It's currently in a temporary home, and i'm giving it twice daily, very strong 5min salt baths. I had a danio with this problem in the past and it solved it nicely.

However, it's been two days now and no improvement, so i've dosed the hospital tank with Melafix in a vague hope it'll help, and intend to continue with the salt bath.

He's still eating (well, trying and eventually succeeding).

I've taken a short video so any ideas much appreciated!

Video here

You could try feeding him pea's, I am pretty sure that can help with Swim Bladder Disease.

Maybe also fast him for a few day's?

So it's been a week of twice daily salt baths and dosing Melafix - no change. Also fed de-shelled peas, and then fasted too.

No worse. No better.

Any thoughts?! Poor little guy can't just stay in that little tank for the rest of his life!

I've got an anti-internal bacteria i could try? Unless he's managed to fight off an infection but just been left with permanent damage.

A friend of mine had a poorly danio but no hospital tank, so i rescued it this weekend.

It's currently in a temporary home, and i'm giving it twice daily, very strong 5min salt baths. I had a danio with this problem in the past and it solved it nicely.

However, it's been two days now and no improvement, so i've dosed the hospital tank with Melafix in a vague hope it'll help, and intend to continue with the salt bath.

He's still eating (well, trying and eventually succeeding).

I've taken a short video so any ideas much appreciated!

Video here

Swimming in a spiral like that makes that look neurological from what I've read. From the same reading, it could have started from gill infection from bad water or parasites that are gone now and then spread into the brain. If it was from an infection, he might have eye problems of some sort since that's in the same general area. I'm not sure you can fix it outright, though he might adapt to it. He seems to understand that things aren't going right and I think that's a good sign, yet he's not freaking out and darting into the glass. Judging from his behavior, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, but he might not ever swim right again. On the other hand, he might figure a way to compensate for it. I say give him a chance since he eats and swims in the open. At least he's not hiding or laying on his side.

Swimming in a spiral like that makes that look neurological from what I've read. From the same reading, it could have started from gill infection from bad water or parasites that are gone now and then spread into the brain. If it was from an infection, he might have eye problems of some sort since that's in the same general area. I'm not sure you can fix it outright, though he might adapt to it. He seems to understand that things aren't going right and I think that's a good sign, yet he's not freaking out and darting into the glass. Judging from his behavior, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, but he might not ever swim right again. On the other hand, he might figure a way to compensate for it. I say give him a chance since he eats and swims in the open. At least he's not hiding or laying on his side.
Thanks, I'm of the same opinion. Permanent neuro damage i reckon. I'll continue with the salt baths for a little longer. He does spend a good portion of his time however just lying on the bottom. If i add him to my community i'm concerned he'll get bullied to death/possibly pass on nasties.

What to do!

Most reactions

trending

Back