FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Madisonkeug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I was given a bunch of fish from a local business who could no longer care for their fish. Iā€™m new to owning fish and Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m doing everything I can to care for these guys and I need help. Biggest question is the tank over stocked?
1x Bronze Cory (swimming around glass lots)
1x Spotted Cory
1x yoyo loach (hiding 60% of day but eating)
1x Pygmy gourami
1x guppy
3x mollies
2x X-ray tetras
3x kuhli loaches 2/3 hiding during the day, other swimming around like crazy

Hi guys, so I was given a bunch of fish from a local business who could no longer care for their fish. Iā€™m new to owning fish and Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m doing everything I can to care for these guys and I need help. Biggest question is the tank over stocked?
1x Bronze Cory (swimming around glass lots)
1x Spotted Cory
1x yoyo loach (hiding 60% of day but eating)
1x Pygmy gourami
1x guppy
3x mollies
2x X-ray tetras
3x kuhli loaches 2/3 hiding during the day, other swimming around like crazy
Itā€™s a 15 gal tank with some rocky decore and caves and a few live plants and a really good filter so far. The substrate is a smaller gravel for the kuhli loaches to burrow in and thereā€™s also a Nertie snail in there to keep the tank clean

What are the dimensions of the tank? You can use this site (which I found through @Slaphppy7) to figure out what would be best for your tank by plugging in the dimensions, capacity, filter(s), e.c.t. It's very simple once you get the hang of it.

Corydoras are schooling fish. They should be in groups of 6 per species minimum. A recommended number is at least 8.
Bronze corys need a tank minimum of around 20 gallons as they are very active fish.

Yoyo loaches are also social fish and should be in larger groups of at least 4 or 5. They should also be in a 20G minimum tank.

Tetras are schooling fish as well, and do better in groups of at least 8 per species.

Kuhli loaches are shy fish, but become more sociable in larger groups and will do well in groups of 6+.

I'm definitely not well versed with mollies, but I've read that they should be in groups of around 4-6, and need a tank minimum of around 20 gallons.

The kuhli loaches, corydoras and yoyo loaches are bottom feeders, and would be best in a tank with sand as a substrate. This is because they have sensitive barbels that they use for scouting out food, so it's important to protect them by using a gentle substrate (sand is ideal). Corydoras also feed by sifting through sand and picking out bits of food, which they are not able to do in gravel. As well as this, the gravel has the potential to rub bottom feeders' undersides raw. Switching your substrate to sand would be best carried out sooner rather than later.

I've personally never read anything concerning only keeping one guppy, but they are typically seen in groups. Keep in mind that they are livebearers*, and when in the right conditions will breed like rabbits.

I would say the tank is quite overstocked, but I'm not an expert lol.

*Livebearers are fish that carry their babies inside their bodies rather than laying eggs like many other fish. Examples include mollies, guppies, swordtails and platys. Breeding them is typically very easy, but it's also very easy to get carried away with them. In which case you may end up with hundreds, if not thousands, of little baby fish before long.

Hope this is helpful.

What are the dimensions of the tank? You can use this site (which I found through @Slaphppy7) to figure out what would be best for your tank by plugging in the dimensions, capacity, filter(s), e.c.t. It's very simple once you get the hang of it.

Corydoras are schooling fish. They should be in groups of 6 per species minimum. A recommended number is at least 8.
Bronze corys need a tank minimum of around 20 gallons as they are very active fish.

Yoyo loaches are also social fish and should be in larger groups of at least 4 or 5. They should also be in a 20G minimum tank.

Tetras are schooling fish as well, and do better in groups of at least 8 per species.

Kuhli loaches are shy fish, but become more sociable in larger groups and will do well in groups of 6+.

I'm definitely not well versed with mollies, but I've read that they should be in groups of around 4-6, and need a tank minimum of around 20 gallons.

The kuhli loaches, corydoras and yoyo loaches are bottom feeders, and would be best in a tank with sand as a substrate. This is because they have sensitive barbels that they use for scouting out food, so it's important to protect them by using a gentle substrate (sand is ideal). Corydoras also feed by sifting through sand and picking out bits of food, which they are not able to do in gravel. As well as this, the gravel has the potential to rub bottom feeders' undersides raw. Switching your substrate to sand would be best carried out sooner rather than later.

I've personally never read anything concerning only keeping one guppy, but they are typically seen in groups. Keep in mind that they are livebearers*, and when in the right conditions will breed like rabbits.

I would say the tank is quite overstocked, but I'm not an expert lol.

*Livebearers are fish that carry their babies inside their bodies rather than laying eggs like many other fish. Examples include mollies, guppies, swordtails and platys. Breeding them is typically very easy, but it's also very easy to get carried away with them. In which case you may end up with hundreds, if not thousands, of little baby fish before long.

Hope this is helpful.
Do they have to be the same Corys? I have the two of the Corys ones a bronze and the other is a spotted Cory they seem to like each other a lot and the spotted Cory and the Yo-yo loach are side by side all the time. The lady had other yo-yo loaches but this one was always bullied and that is why she separated it from the rest... should I get more or will it be the same end result with him getting bullied and nipped at?

None of this is your fault, you had an inappropriate combination of fish (in a tank way too small for most of them even individually) thrust upon you. Now we have to sort things out as best we can, which is not going to be easy.

Shoaling species need a group, and to be honest this tank is not sufficient space for any of the shoaling species on its own [the exception being the kuhli loaches that are actually OK with just three in this tank], much less together. I would certainly not get more of any of the fish species, unless you can also have a suitably-sized tank for that species. If multiple tanks to accommodate the various species (some species could manage being in the same tank together, some could not, so this means multiple additional larger tanks) are not feasible, it may be best to leave things as is. Or find local aquarists who could take in this or that fish and provide the required environment.

BTW, mollies require hard water or they will slowly weaken and die. Our water here is very soft (I assume Chilliwack is the same as the Lower Mainland) and excellent for soft water fish but not for livebearers. So, the mollies should be on their own, in a tank with harder water...that is another story I'll leave for the moment.

We are close to each other I see, I am in Maple Ridge. Unfortunately I cannot offer any assistance in taking any of these fish, as I have had to downsize my tanks recently, and due to cancer and chemo treatments I am barely able to manage what I have now. I have no idea as to hobbyists in this area, I don't think there are any fish clubs or groups except in Vancouver but I'm not sure if they are still in existence. One group used to meet at the Vancouver Aquarium, another at UBC, but I have a feeling neither is active now.

Thank you for the reply, Iā€™ve been doing my research and Iā€™m going to separate the tank into two, not solid on the plan yet but this is an approximate

Tank 1:
Guppy
Kuhli Loaches
yo-yo loaches
Platties (was told mollies but after some research realized they are platy)

tank 2:
Pygmy Gourami
The Corys
The X-ray tetras

Is this better? Any pairings I should avoid?

Do they have to be the same Corys? I have the two of the Corys ones a bronze and the other is a spotted Cory they seem to like each other a lot and the spotted Cory and the Yo-yo loach are side by side all the time. The lady had other yo-yo loaches but this one was always bullied and that is why she separated it from the rest... should I get more or will it be the same end result with him getting bullied and nipped at?
Crossbreeding can become an issue with corydoras when the number in a group is insufficient. For example, if you have c. schultzei and c. aeneus in a tank together, you should keep enough of both species (at least 12 of each I'd say) to avoid crossbreeding if you would like to keep multiple species. However, it may just be easier to rehome one of the corys and stock up on more of the one species. Right now I'm keeping 12 c. aeneus (bronze and albino) and it's a very happy group. Very social and active.

Yoyo loaches are social, and in my experience seem to get lonely when there's only one in a tank. To remedy this on their own, I've found that they will band together with other fish - especially bottom feeders like corydoras.
When you have a larger group of a certain type of fish, there's less chance of one being singled out and bullied to death. People often do this with African cichlid tanks, as keeping many together in one large group helps prevent against bullying. If you choose to keep all the fish*, I would get a larger group of yoyo loaches.
Thank you for the reply, Iā€™ve been doing my research and Iā€™m going to separate the tank into two, not solid on the plan yet but this is an approximate

Tank 1:
Guppy
Kuhli Loaches
yo-yo loaches

tank 2:
Pygmy Gourami
The Corys
The X-ray tetras

Don't forget that you can give fish to a your local fish shop. Many will be willing to take certain fish, and some may even give you store credit in return (though that isn't always the case). Alternatively you can rehome them if someone nearby is looking for any of the fish you have and are willing to give up.

Your guppy and gourami (I believe) would happily live in the 15 gallon tank together. I would recommend a larger tank to keep appropriate numbers of each species. Have a think about the fish you like the most and the least in your tank, or which fish contribute the least to your tank (aesthetic, usefulness, e.c.t.), and maybe you can compile a list of fish you'd be happy to rehome.

If you plan on getting a second tank, I would go for something nice and spacious. It may be a big investment, but it would definitely be worth it. No pressure, of course.

Consider your options and give updates as you see fit. Hopefully we can help you sort everything out.

Tank 1:
Guppy
Kuhli Loaches
yo-yo loaches

tank 2:
Pygmy Gourami
The Corys
The X-ray tetras

Platy is a livebearer too, like molly, swordtail, guppy and Endler (the "common" ones) and all need moderately hard or harder water, considerably harder than what we have here (assuming your water is the same, any idea of the GH level?). Guppies sometimes manage surprisingly long in such conditions (soft water), but it is still a problem.

I can't offer much about the proposed stocking as I don't know the tank sizes intended.

Iā€™d swap the corys and kuhlies round, lose the yo-yo, and increase the numbers of the tetra, kuhlies, corys and gouramies. At least half a dozen of each, (more is better), as long as the tanks can handle it.
Iā€™d lose the yo-yo because they grow huge compared to the others and would be too powerful and boisterous for them.
Iā€™d have the kuhlies with the gouramies because they live together in the wild and the kuhlies wouldnā€™t be dashing up for air like the corys would. Even occasionally and the gouramies wonā€™t like it.

:)

Last edited:
Please don't make multiple threads on the same topic, it can get very confusing! I've already given you advice on the first thread you made, so please stick to that!

As new members, we all fell into this problem of multiple threads on one topic without realizing it. It is better to keep an issue in one thread, as this allows other members to see what has been said and avoid duplication, and it provides you with the best response as everyone is on the same page, so to speak. You can simply PM a moderator to combine the threads; mods online show in the box "Staff online" on the right side of this screen. :drinks:

Crossbreeding can become an issue with corydoras when the number in a group is insufficient. For example, if you have c. schultzei and c. aeneus in a tank together, you should keep enough of both species (at least 12 of each I'd say) to avoid crossbreeding if you would like to keep multiple species. However, it may just be easier to rehome one of the corys and stock up on more of the one species. Right now I'm keeping 12 c. aeneus (bronze and albino) and it's a very happy group. Very social and active.

Yoyo loaches are social, and in my experience seem to get lonely when there's only one in a tank. To remedy this on their own, I've found that they will band together with other fish - especially bottom feeders like corydoras.
When you have a larger group of a certain type of fish, there's less chance of one being singled out and bullied to death. People often do this with African cichlid tanks, as keeping many together in one large group helps prevent against bullying. If you choose to keep all the fish*, I would get a larger group of yoyo loaches.

Don't forget that you can give fish to a your local fish shop. Many will be willing to take certain fish, and some may even give you store credit in return (though that isn't always the case). Alternatively you can rehome them if someone nearby is looking for any of the fish you have and are willing to give up.

Your guppy and gourami (I believe) would happily live in the 15 gallon tank together. I would recommend a larger tank to keep appropriate numbers of each species. Have a think about the fish you like the most and the least in your tank, or which fish contribute the least to your tank (aesthetic, usefulness, e.c.t.), and maybe you can compile a list of fish you'd be happy to rehome.

If you plan on getting a second tank, I would go for something nice and spacious. It may be a big investment, but it would definitely be worth it. No pressure, of course.

Consider your options and give updates as you see fit. Hopefully we can help you sort everything out.
My second tank is a 25 gal I just bought and Iā€™ve just introduced a new bacteria colony to it like another person suggested when I started the new tank. Iā€™ve decided to put my guppy, Gourami and the two bronze Coreyā€™s in together in the bigger tank (still deciding on weather I can add the kuhli loaches in that mix or not)
And then my Platties, two spotted coreys and my yo-yo loach in the other (as my spotted Corys have become friends with my yo-yo)

that sound sustainable?

Please don't make multiple threads on the same topic, it can get very confusing! I've already given you advice on the first thread you made, so please stick to that!

As new members, we all fell into this problem of multiple threads on one topic without realizing it. It is better to keep an issue in one thread, as this allows other members to see what has been said and avoid duplication, and it provides you with the best response as everyone is on the same page, so to speak. You can simply PM a moderator to combine the threads; mods online show in the box "Staff online" on the right side of this screen. :drinks:
I have merged the two threads.

Iā€™d swap the corys and kuhlies round, lose the yo-yo, and increase the numbers of the tetra, kuhlies, corys and gouramies. At least half a dozen of each, (more is better), as long as the tanks can handle it.
Iā€™d lose the yo-yo because they grow huge compared to the others and would be too powerful and boisterous for them.
Iā€™d have the kuhlies with the gouramies because they live together in the wild and the kuhlies wouldnā€™t be dashing up for air like the corys would. Even occasionally and the gouramies wonā€™t like it.
Iā€™ve decided to rehome my tetras and the yo-yo as theyā€™re not going to like the conditions of the tank and just donā€™t jive well with the set up I have planned. Iā€™m going to keep the kuhli loaches and the bronze Corys (adding more soon) in the 25gal with the Pygmy Gouramis and then leave the guppies and Platties with the smaller Pygmy peppered Corys for now until they need to be moved into a bigger tank.

Iā€™ve got this sandy plant substrate in the large 25gal tank now and let the dust settle. The tank got a bit cloudy white (I think that means Iā€™ve set up the bacteria properly? ) and the cloudiness has gone down. Should I do a cycle before I add my fish or should I add the fish and leave it for a week to let the bacteria settle in more?

Last edited:
Platy is a livebearer too, like molly, swordtail, guppy and Endler (the "common" ones) and all need moderately hard or harder water, considerably harder than what we have here (assuming your water is the same, any idea of the GH level?). Guppies sometimes manage surprisingly long in such conditions (soft water), but it is still a problem.

I can't offer much about the proposed stocking as I don't know the tank sizes intended.
How do you recommend I raise the GH for these guys then? I donā€™t want them to start out with bad conditions! Is there any way to fix this?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back