Rescaped my fluval, thoughts on before and after?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wells

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
20200822_144430.jpg

This is where it was from when I first got it, I tried planting carpet plants but they didnt take very well probably from my lack of co2! I also made a mistake of planting my nubias and Java fern in the soil. This had more of an overgrown jungle vibe i thought.

Decided I would rescape and try tidy up my attempt at carpet plants and rectify the mistakes with the Java and nubias.

20200823_121102.jpg

This is it after the waters run through and cleared up better, got some liquid co2 yesterday along with a couple of decent sized rocks and a load of new hairgrass.
Unsure if the liquid co2 will work wonders but better than nothing I guess?

Tank is a fluval flex 57l running with stock filter and extra biomedia and filter sponge in the back internally.

Fish stock is 9 harlequin rasboras, 3 male fancy guppies, 1 nerite snail and 3 red cherry shrimp.

I like it both ways. I tend to enjoy the overgrown jungle look. :) The second way will definitely provide more room for the fish to swim, while still giving the good cover.

I've never had much luck with carpet plants either in my low-tech tanks, except dwarf sag. Are you using Excel for your carbon source?

Wow the change in rocks really changes it - I've got smooth cobbles in mine and want to change it for a more textured rock at some point this really proves its worth it. Your Hairgrass may carpet well without Co2, mine has grown really well but I use Co2. From what I have read the best carpeting plant for non Co2 tanks is Marsilea Hirsuta, I've just ordered a pot of 1-2-grow of it to add to mine as I need some fast growing plants to help with some algae issues.

Really nice tank :) and nicely stocked too! Maybe a few more shrimp to get them breeding?

I would advise not using the liquid CO2. Most of them contain glutaraldhyde and I would not like anything in my tank which is used to sterilise surgical equipment or in embalming fluid which is what glutaraldehyde is also used for. A tiny overdose can kill fish and plants and some plants cannot cope with even the recommended dose.

It looks beautiful! I like the ‘before’ one though.

I've never had much luck with carpet plants either in my low-tech tanks, except dwarf sag. Are you using Excel for your carbon source?

Yes, using excel flourish as I heard as far as liquid co2 goes its not bad, maybe I will just go full co2 if it really doesn't take I'm not sure why I'm avoiding it, its probs no where near as hard as I think it may be to set up and maintain.

Wow the change in rocks really changes it - I've got smooth cobbles in mine and want to change it for a more textured rock at some point this really proves its worth it. Your Hairgrass may carpet well without Co2, mine has grown really well but I use Co2. From what I have read the best carpeting plant for non Co2 tanks is Marsilea Hirsuta, I've just ordered a pot of 1-2-grow of it to add to mine as I need some fast growing plants to help with some algae issues.

Really nice tank :) and nicely stocked too! Maybe a few more shrimp to get them breeding?
Textured rocks definitely do make a difference, that’s why I like dragon stone so much!

I used to use smooth river rocks, and they are ok for accenting driftwood, but not for the main rock.

Appreciate the comments, especially for the before tank!

Maybe this will end up a bit lost jungle,there is one which I forget the name (on the left of the rock starts with an R I think)grows very quickly I've found and easy to propagate.

I might add some more shrimp, I did originally have 4 but did lose one unfortunately so have held off adding as I read they was sensitive, maybe it was just an unwell one from the shop as everything else has done well.

Yes, using excel flourish as I heard as far as liquid co2 goes its not bad, maybe I will just go full co2 if it really doesn't take I'm not sure why I'm avoiding it, its probs no where near as hard as I think it may be to set up and maintain.

I've recently set a tank up with Co2 for the first time - I'm using a Co2 art regulator with a 2kg fire extinguisher. Set up was really easy, just need to make sure you get the nut tight enough to prevent a leak. You can really hear it though when you press the lever down if there is a leak. I would recommend getting the elite as it has the quick release valve - I have the SE and I have no idea how you release gas safely if you dont get the nut on right first time... I'd have spent a bit more for the elite if I had realised but thought the only difference was the elite can be used for multiple diffusers

Maintaining it is easy now, one screw dial limits the amount of Co2 going into the tank and with a drop checker you can see work out where you are getting to.

One lesson I have learned is that surface agitation on a night is important so its worth getting an air stone to run when lights are out. That way you can track day and night that there is enough o2 in the tank by watching the liquid go from green in the day to blue at night.

Wills :)

Little update on the tank, the red plants unfortunately have not done well, either being replanted has destroyed their chances or maybe they was on the way out anyway.

A friend did say he was surprised they had lasted without co2 so maybe it was a matter of time, will try again when I get a tank with co2.
I've removed them, did a little pruning of the ludwigia and replanted that to the right where the pink one has been removed.

My favourite thing with the ludwigia is how easy it grows and easy to prune and plant elsewhere.

Also a new crypt has been added down there as well and some extra hair grass to fill out spots rather than waiting to see if it does carpet!
20200907_122844.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would advise not using the liquid CO2. Most of them contain glutaraldhyde and I would not like anything in my tank which is used to sterilise surgical equipment or in embalming fluid which is what glutaraldehyde is also used for. A tiny overdose can kill fish and plants and some plants cannot cope with even the recommended dose.
I would agree-sometimes what benefits the plants isn't necessarily particularly good for the fish.

Those Fluvial Flexes are lovely looking tanks, though - and this one is beautifully set up.

Kudos, Wells - nice set-up!

I would agree-sometimes what benefits the plants isn't necessarily particularly good for the fish.

Those Fluvial Flexes are lovely looking tanks, though - and this one is beautifully set up.

Kudos, Wells - nice set-up!
Thanks! Yea I've stopped using it now, I didn't really see any benefits from using it anyway and the potential for downsides to the product wasn't worth it.

Looking at setting up a cheap basic co2 with Tropica co2 60 kit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back