reptile decorations in aquarium?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

abstract

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i bought a fake mangrove root ceramic reptile deocration from petsmart the other day....got home and noticed that it said not recommended for fish tanks and was just wondering why....the only thing i can see that would cause problems is a "special antimicrobial agent which is a petsmart exclusive" ...

so basically, has anyone used reptile decorations in their fish tanks?

should i be worried about the antimicrobial agent?

should i maybe use a diluted bleach solution to thoroughly clean it if i do decide to use it?

would it be safe to try it for awhile and test the water daily, or is it more likely to release a toxin into the water that cannot be detected?

what other reasons could there be for "not recommended for fish tanks" - or is that their way of saying do NOT use them in aquariums? "not recommended" seems pretty vague - is it just not tested with fish possibly?

i'm sure some of you will have some good advice, thanks

I saw something like that on some trunk that was in a reptile section, unfortunately no one seems to know.. At least at petsmart lol. Hopefully someone knows here, because I'd like to know.

Fake Mangrove

This is a picture of the actual item...it is made out of the same thing as the caves, etc that say they can be used for reptiles/fish/amphibians (polyresin) - the only difference being the coating of antimicrobial agent :crazy:

i wonder what this agent is and how/if it can be removed? where are all those chemistry people? :D

to be honest i had it in my tank for 12 hours before i noticed the warning..it is out of my tank now and soaking in a very mild bleach solution. the water tested spot on for ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and my fish seemed to love it. i would expect the guppy fry to show first symptoms of any problems but they, and all other fish, seem fine...

I'm no chemist but I'd imagine boiling for 30mins or so would neutralise anything on it. :dunno:

i'm just a little worried about boiling....couldnt i risk cracking or shattering it if the temperature increase is too fast?

from what i read this antimicrobial agent "inhibits bacteria growth" - so that being said, do you all think it would leech out into the water and destroy the beneficial bacteria in the tank? if so would there be any way to neutralize it? would boiling even work, or is it probably a coating that is heated on?

sorry to ask so many questions, but i love the decoration :lol:

just came to my mind but....would the fact that it doesn't have a lot of openings for water to pass through be a reason it is not recommended for aquarium usage....for example, most aquatic decor has an area where fish can swim into it and move the water around so that a stagnant area is not created where bacteria and gases can build up

just a thought.

I think that it is a liability issue possibly. They don't want you to put it in the tank because they haven't tested the microbial agent with fish. Also I read what someone said about the anti micro agent destroying the bio filter and this is what first came to mind when I read antimicrobial. So I second that thought. Is it possible that it has sharp or splintering qualities that would have negative effects on the soft mouths of suckermouths or the fins of some other fish?

just got an email from the company saying this product should NOT be used in the aquarium setting...they did not say why, but stressed the NOT part, lol...needless to say i will not be taking the risk

Better safe than sorry....Its too bad because ive seen some amazing lookin reptile decorations that would be great in a tank and always thought ...What if?...

DR

well just FYI, the plain polyresin decorations are perfectly fine for fish tanks...however, it is the antimicrobial agent that you want to watch out for... every decoration that doesn't have that coating states that it is perfect for "reptiles, amphibians, and fish," and every decoration with that parcitular coating says that it is not recommended for aquariums...

Most reactions

Back