Replacement Small Internal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

soybean

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My trusty fluval 2+ has finally started to give up and make a bit too much noise for my liking. Not bad for a filter bought 7 years ago, second hand.

But I want to replace it for a change. The tank is lightly planted, 30 litres, though I may be changing it to a 45. It's just my guppy grow out tank and also houses a female fighter and a few cherry shrimp, so the flow doesn't need to be that high.

I was thinking of trying an APS internal like this one http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/250l-h-aquarium-internal-corner-filter.html given how cheap they are but I know they can be hit and miss. If anybody has an Aps internal please let me know what you think of it. I don't like not knowing how much media they can house!

Are there any other good models that often get overlooked? I cannot stand the newer Fluval U series so don't want another one of those.

I have an aps internal 200 lph in my Betta cube.
Tbh it's fine for one Betta, but doesn't have any room for anything but the sponge part

I use a small elite internal for my 60ltr which at the mo is in use for quarentine. But before that i had quite a few fish in and it did the job well. You can house two filter pads (one being a piramid shape and the other being a flat triangle shape, both bought very easily as a pack), and also two kidney shaped carbon baskets. Again very easy to get hold of. Reasonbly quiet and very cheap. Its got to be at least 6 yrs old and still working well. Just checked on ebay and you can get them new for £13. Bargin. Elite dont seem to get mentioned on here but id recomend them highly.

I use a small elite internal for my 60ltr which at the mo is in use for quarentine. But before that i had quite a few fish in and it did the job well. You can house two filter pads (one being a piramid shape and the other being a flat triangle shape, both bought very easily as a pack), and also two kidney shaped carbon baskets. Again very easy to get hold of. Reasonbly quiet and very cheap. Its got to be at least 6 yrs old and still working well. Just checked on ebay and you can get them new for £13. Bargin. Elite dont seem to get mentioned on here but id recomend them highly.

Is it one of the stingray ones? I had one of those years ago and wasnt too impressed, too much plastic and not enough media space. You're right though, that is quite cheap for a new one.

Yup its the stingray. I must admit it is very plasticy. Thery not the most descrete filter out. All said it does a good job.

I have treated it as two separate problems. One is filtration and the other is water flow. I set up a sponge like this in a corner and attach a good quality power head to move the flow.

Sponge
AzooSponge.jpg

power head
Powerhead.jpg

The combination of these particular items has been running my 40 gallon breeder for several years now.

Grab and Aqua Flow 50 for it, i use one in my 30 litre with Celestial pearl danios, they are silent and come with a spray bar, you can also cram all your sponges into it. Actually, if you have a 2+ you might want to get the Aqua Flow 100, as the 50 will only take half your current sponges, the 100 will have more space. Only £10 from any Maidenhead Aquatics.

Grab and Aqua Flow 50 for it, i use one in my 30 litre with Celestial pearl danios, they are silent and come with a spray bar, you can also cram all your sponges into it. Actually, if you have a 2+ you might want to get the Aqua Flow 100, as the 50 will only take half your current sponges, the 100 will have more space. Only £10 from any Maidenhead Aquatics.

Cheers tizer I'll look at those, seen them in a local shop before but never heard much about them. Spray bar would be good.

+1 for the Aqua flow 50 and Aqua flow 100.
I use them both and are decent filters for the money, I like them cos you can alter the flow and can fit a decent amount of media in them.

@ Oldman47
Thats a great way to use a sponge filter, One of the reasons I never liked them is poor flow.
I have a couple of spare power heads so will give that a try:)

I think I'll got for an aqua flow 100. Sorted, cheers!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back