Relocating a pond

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I need to move our pond, which came with the house so I've no idea how old it is. It has fish (looks like goldfish and similar, up to 10cm long) and plants, and a filter. It has a good amount of wildlife!

The liner is preformed, I believe 1500l. The liner is not level but otherwise seems fine.

Two questions:
1) Would I be daft to attempt to move the current liner?

2) If I get a new liner, how deep should it be? I've seen one that is 46cm deep, but read contradictory information on how much depth is needed. Making a new one would make it easier to move plants animals and water over of course.

The new location would also have power for filtration.

Would also welcome any general advice/thoughts or links to good articles.

Many thanks,

Mark

what do you mean by a liner?
is it a flexible rubber/plastic liner, or a fibreglass pond?

ponds need to be at least 18 inches deep and preferably more so there is less chance of it freezing solid and killing the occupants. However, many councils will make you have a pool fence around anything that is deeper than 18 inches.

If the liner is plastic sheeting, buy new. It could degrade with age and the move will scuff it up making it weaker.

I would say 80-100cm depth as you are based in the UK but you can have shallower shelving. The fish will go to the bottom when it freezes.

If the fish are 10 cm they could be 1-2 years old but it depends on lots of factors like common or fancy species, space, food etc.

When you move you could use a cheap paddling pool to put the water/plants/fish/wildlife in whilst you
transfer any hardware. It’s also fun to see just how many young fish and other species are there.I would recommend waiting for the warmer weather though!

what do you mean by a liner?
is it a flexible rubber/plastic liner, or a fibreglass pond?

ponds need to be at least 18 inches deep and preferably more so there is less chance of it freezing solid and killing the occupants. However, many councils will make you have a pool fence around anything that is deeper than 18 inches.
Preformed, some flex but basically rigid.

Has anyone experience of moving one?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back