Rehousing Compact Fluorescence

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nkd5024

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, my name is nick and Im new to this forum. I live in the united states (pennsylvania), and have been keeping marine aquariums for the past 4 years.
I had a 90 gallon reef for the past couple years, but had to take it down when I planned to move to my first apartment for college.
Now that I'm here I decided to set up a 30 gallon tall with a 30 gallon sump, since I can't have 90 gallons on the second floor :-(
Currently I am using a 36" 96 watt coralife compact fluorescent light. (10,000K and actinic) on my tank which has been running for three months now.

So my question is:
Is possible to take out the four compact fluorescent lights, and ballasts from my 48" 260 watt coralife compact fluorescent fixture that I used on my old 90 gal. and "rehouse" it in something that would fit nicely on my current tank.
I do not know a lot about electricity other than the basics of soldering wires, and circuits, but would love to save the money of buying a new light.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

:hi: Nick, its nice to have you here on TFF and on the salty side :good:

I'm afraid I'm useless with electrics, but I do know that some of the guys have done similar things.

Hopefully one will be along soon

Seffie x

hello and :hi:

i am sorry i to am no good
with wiring or electrics

yellow to black
red to green
blew to bits
:rofl:

HAHA thank you for replying anyway :good:
I can't find anything on the subject online.
I was thinking that I might be able to build a canopy and house the bulbs and ballasts in there. Then add a fan to cool it.
I would love to be able to do this and save the money instead of buying metal halides.

I should be able to keep most corals including SPS with 260 watts of actinic and 10,000K over 30 gallons correct?
That would give me 8.6 watts/gallon. Not sure what the PAR ratings are on the bulbs but I might be able to borrow
a light meter from one of the LFS.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back