Reedfish/ropefish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucidusAstrum

Reaction score
Anyone know if a reedfish will eat zebra/leopard danios?

For a while my reedfish was fine with bloodworm and pellets, now he's devoured my neons, going through 3 a night, I was warned about it so not such a shock.

Now there's only one neon left and I'm just hoping he won't move on to eating the danios when he's done.

Anyone know if a reedfish will eat zebra/leopard danios?

For a while my reedfish was fine with bloodworm and pellets, now he's devoured my neons, going through 3 a night, I was warned about it so not such a shock.

Now there's only one neon left and I'm just hoping he won't move on to eating the danios when he's done.

it probably will eat them, and if he doesnt eat them now he will do when he's bigger. how big is he? how big is your tank

He's about 10cm, in a 180ltr tank 101cm 41cm 51cm
With 2 gourami, 2 mollies, 2 small clown loaches and 6 danios.

Ok I was way off with his measurements, he's more like 20cm. He's quite thin though and I read that they'll eat fish as big as his mouth.
Just wondering if anyone has experience with these fish, what do they feed them?
He's quickly becoming my favourite fish :)

I would say yes. If not now, that when it gets bigger.

Round fish are safer with Reedfish. Elongated ones are easier to swallow.

You should also keep Reeds in groups of 3+. It will be happier and less inclined to escape.

He was the only one in the store, we're waiting for more to be delivered.
I'm now completely out of neons; still got all my danios though :)

Would he be okay in a larger tank that's only filled 3/4 way up? I've caught him a few times poking his head out the top of the water.
The current tank is well sealed but it still makes me nervous, especially since we're planning on getting more.

I've had one for at least 6 months now and he hasn't escaped from my lidded tank. Mine even had a a 2inch gap running all the way across for a few months and nothing happened, I know he's inclined to jump because he jumped out of a bucket and spent half an hour on carpet before.

As long as you havea lid he's fine, keep the water levels high :)

Possibly one of my favourite fish. I kept a group of 4 for a few years and the biggest was about 16inch and quite thick in the body

I wouldnt be lax with the possiblilty of them escaping Ive found them to be the best escape artists ive ever seen in fishkeeping and theres nothing more disheartening to see that dried up reedfish in the morning better to be safe than sorry

as for eating they are easy to feed so make sure they get lots of catfish pellets and maybe frozen food, prawns etc, clearly as active predators small fish are always at risk however I wouldnt be concerned about the clown loach and gouramis and the mollies if a decent size

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back