The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Linkandnavi

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Morning,

I'm currently in the process of setting up a new 450 litre tank. Having read very good things, I ordered an Aqual-el Ultramax 2000 external filter and also an Aqual-el flow inline heater. The heater only works on hose of a 16mm internal diameter.

The website I bought the Ultramax 2000 from advertised it as using 16mm internal diameter hosing. Unfortunately that's not the case. The Ultramax 2000 used to use 16mm but the model was updated and now uses 19mm internal diameter hosing.

I can get an adapter which would allow me to connect the 19mm hosing to 16mm hosing, so I could then use all the equipment.

My question is: would that cause any issues for the filter? I can't see it causing pressure to build up in any way as presumably there is some kind of pressure regulation going on. I assume it would be as if there was a slight blockage in a normal filter hose which would reduce the flow down to whatever a 16mm hose could handle? If that's the only consequence then I'm fine with reduced flow. My planned stocking like slow water movement and I'll be using an additional air sponge filter in the tank for increased aeration and to create a ready cycles filter for a quarantine tank anyway.

Would I also need to reduce the hosing size for the filter input? I assume not.

Thanks ?

Matt.

I haven't used any adapter before but if I am not wrong if you switch/connect to a smaller hose, the water pressure will be higher or faster.

If your input hose is smaller and your filter hose is bigger, I guess it will be fine.
But if your input hose is bigger and your filter hose is smaller, probably it may cause a problem.(my guess only).

Nevertheless, if you connect them tightly and properly, probably it won't cause any problem.

If you want to slow down the flow rate, you can connect the input side to a pre-filter.
A pre-filter is just a container with filter medias but without having any motor or impeller.

It can be connected to any canister/external filter input side(intake hose).

Here are two examples of pre-filter:

Eheim canister pre-filter:

Shiruba Pre-filter:

Perhaps, you can try the adapter first before considering any pre-filter.(just to confirm the effect).

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back