Reducing Filter Flow For Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fergalthefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i got my first betta in a 5gal with a fluval 1 filter but even the flow on such a small filter seems too much for my fish. any ideas how i can reduce the flow as it doesnt have anything adjustable on it. alternatively is there another type of filter thats better ?

i got my first betta in a 5gal with a fluval 1 filter but even the flow on such a small filter seems too much for my fish. any ideas how i can reduce the flow as it doesnt have anything adjustable on it. alternatively is there another type of filter thats better ?

if you take the head of the filter off and turn it upside down you will see the opening where the water goes through to exit the filter, you should be able to make this hole smaller by using some persex or other matertial to glue over and reduce the hole radius with aquarium sealent, if not you could try putting some thick filter media into the hole both of these will reduce the flow rate.

if you take the head of the filter off and turn it upside down you will see the opening where the water goes through to exit the filter, you should be able to make this hole smaller by using some persex or other matertial to glue over and reduce the hole radius with aquarium sealent, if not you could try putting some thick filter media into the hole both of these will reduce the flow rate.

I would've thought by doing this you risk permanently damaging the pump because it is not built to push at such pressures, and all you're doing is making a smaller hole for the same water to go through - giving faster flow. Have I misunderstood?

You should never restrict the intake tube of any filter. Just try pointing it at the tank wall, or get a piece of tubing and put it into the output and aim it vertically near the surface of the water.

You should never restrict the intake tube of any filter. Just try pointing it at the tank wall, or get a piece of tubing and put it into the output and aim it vertically near the surface of the water.

I put a piece of bogwood in front of mine, and that seems to work well :good:

I put a piece of bogwood in front of mine, and that seems to work well :good:
yeh i used the bogwood, but my fish seem to have gotten used to it now, i think they just need time really,

i've tried aiming it towards the tank side, putting a big plant in front of it but it still seems to be shooting him across the tank!! i'm stuck!! how much will it harm him if i leave it?? i mean if he gets pushed along by it will it do any harm, it's not like throwing him up against the side just seems he's more struggling to swim against the flow.

get a piece of tubing and put it into the output and aim it vertically near the surface of the water.

This might be your best option then - as long as you can get curved tubing that fits, this works very well to reduce the overall water movement simply using gravity, while avoiding damaging your pump.

it still seems to be shooting him across the tank!! i'm stuck!! how much will it harm him if i leave it?? i mean if he gets pushed along by it will it do any harm, it's not like throwing him up against the side just seems he's more struggling to swim against the flow.

Bettas are quite lazy, chilled out fish, who don't seem to like to swim much - in nature they tend to live in still waters. I would've thought he'd be happier if you sort it out :nod:

I've heard of people making spray bars out of biros/pens before. You might be lucky enough to find a pen the right size that will fit into the nozzle of the filter. You would then need to plug the end and drill holes down the length of the pen. This could also be done with some other type of plastic tubing.

Other than this, you could try attaching a small cube of filter foam over the end of the filter. You would need to make sure this didn't clog up of course.

Other than this, you could try attaching a small cube of filter foam over the end of the filter. You would need to make sure this didn't clog up of course.

You read my mind!
I placed a lump of coarse media over the take-out tube of my overhead trickle filter when I used it as a fry tank to stop them being sucked up. I'm guessing that for an internal filter if you were to get a cylinder shaped piece of coarse media from the pond section of your LFS, cut into it so you have a small recess for your filter exhaust to go into and hold it on with a lakky band it will solve your problem nicely :good:

I did something similar on a HOB filter. I trimmed and stuffed some corse foam up the intake as I'd lost the strainer. Worked well and reduced the flow which is what I needed.

Stuffing some corse foam in the outlet would work. Again, you would need to check it or replace it regularly so that it didn't clog too much.

attach the filter nearest to the corner of the tank as possible and then attach the heater directly in front of it..thats what i do :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back