Redecorated the toad habitat

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk she seems a little inexperienced and I would never tell someone who is new to keeping toads to feed them once per week. EVER. Nor would I recommend cleaning the enclosure once per YEAR. There are also a lot of other herp keeping factors that are important to mention. For example, humidity and temp. None of which she touched on. Could you imagine if a newbie listened that that bad advice? Their toads would for sure die.
I agree. But luckily I have also done my own research on frog enclosures and knew this...
I honestly think that when she said that she feeds once a week and they only need once a year cleanings that she was exaggerating on how easy they are to care for. I bet toads are fairly hardy and can tolerate a good range of conditions... Now obviously you would want to keep it as clean as possible and feed them 2-3 crickets every two days or so... (This is with some heels and reptiles)

I agree. But luckily I have also done my own research on frog enclosures and knew this...
I honestly think that when she said that she feeds once a week and they only need once a year cleanings that she was exaggerating on how easy they are to care for. I bet toads are fairly hardy and can tolerate a good range of conditions... Now obviously you would want to keep it as clean as possible and feed them 2-3 crickets every two days or so... (This is with some heels and reptiles)

Well unless she specifies I can only take her at her word. Which is a questionable word at that. They are hardy but that's not the point. I just don't understand why some would be so blasé with giving care recommendations since the life the an amphibian or any other pet is at stake. That's why I took it more literally. Especially since she was unaware that toads adore dark caves which is something that seemed to surprise her. That's basic care. Provide dark, moist hiding places for them.

Well unless she specifies I can only take her at her word. Which is a questionable word at that. They are hardy but that's not the point. I just don't understand why some would be so blasé with giving care recommendations since the life the an amphibian or any other pet is at stake. That's why I took it more literally. Especially since she was unaware that toads adore dark caves which is something that seemed to surprise her. That's basic care. Provide dark, moist hiding places for them.
Well she may know about dark damp hiding spots but "caves" have different meanings to some people... But I absolutely understand your concern

Well she may know about dark damp hiding spots but "caves" have different meanings to some people... But I absolutely understand your concern

I understand that stance. However, I don't like to assume anything. She stated she would have to look into the dark cave thing. I'm a very logical literal person. I'm unsure why you're defending her poor advice to be honest.

I understand that stance. However, I don't like to assume anything. She stated she would have to look into the dark cave thing. I'm a very logical literal person. I'm unsure why you're defending her poor advice to be honest.
You can calmly state that someone may have misstated something, however you kind of came at Lemon like you thought she didn’t know anything. All she wanted was to show how she redecorated the tank. (For the record @Lemon i think it looks lovely!)

Idk she seems a little inexperienced and I would never tell someone who is new to keeping toads to feed them once per week. EVER. Nor would I recommend cleaning the enclosure once per YEAR. There are also a lot of other herp keeping factors that are important to mention. For example, humidity and temp. None of which she touched on. Could you imagine if a newbie listened to that bad advice? Their toads would for sure die.
I feed them 30-40 crickets per feeding plus live worms that live in the tank and they don’t need humidity. Obviously don’t want them in a cold temperature but I don’t have a heater or anything and they are fine. I also didn’t want to say/mention all of these specifics in a open forum because it would take up the room for people who were actually commenting on what the post was originally about. That’s why I asked the person to privately message me. I’ve been keeping these toads for 2 to 3 years and I would say I’m relatively experienced in this field. toads are highly self-sufficient in keeping their enclosure clean and they literally don’t need you to clean their tank that often and I don’t recommend cleaning it often because it disturbs them more than you need. I would obviously recommend doing your own research but I’m stating what has worked for me and my opinion

Woah once a year? Seriously? Where are you getting your info from? A moist envoirnment will grow bacteria so much faster than lets say a corn snake terrarium since the humidity is a lot lower. I've kept reptiles and amphibians and you are dead wrong with your care if you bellieve you only have to clean it once a year. AND also feeding only once per week? BRO they are not snakes... you need to feed DAILY. I know crickets suck to deal with but that's your problem. Do you even know the ideal humidity percentage you need to keep them at? Do you have a hydrometer? This reply is so sketch.
I do not purely feed them in crickets and I have them hunt for the food on their own. I release up to 40 well sized crickets into the enclosure and they run out in about a week. Then I get them more crickets. Even though I don’t have live plans or a completely natural fish tank , I have a almost completely natural toad terrarium. When you have this much room, plus live insects living in the soil you don’t want to clean it as often as you would normally. Toads are very different from frogs and other reptiles in their care needs. I’m not as an experienced as you seem to think and I did years of research before I ended up actually keeping these animals. I’m completely willing to offer any more clarity that I can on how I care for these pets but I do feel slightly attacked not only by you but the other people so please do respect that I was offering my knowledge to this person who is interested in getting the same pet that I own.

I do know they enjoy moist dark places I just had to look in different types of caves I don’t know why everyone was so confused with that. They have their log which is natural and provides a shelter underneath that is dark and moist and away from the light from the window.

Because that I knew 100% that she knew what she was doing... And I think this:
I feed them 30-40 crickets per feeding plus live worms that live in the tank and they don’t need humidity. Obviously don’t want them in a cold temperature but I don’t have a heater or anything and they are fine. I also didn’t want to say/mention all of these specifics in a open forum because it would take up the room for people who were actually commenting on what the post was originally about. That’s why I asked the person to privately message me. I’ve been keeping these toads for 2 to 3 years and I would say I’m relatively experienced in this field. toads are highly self-sufficient in keeping their enclosure clean and they literally don’t need you to clean their tank that often and I don’t recommend cleaning it often because it disturbs them more than you need. I would obviously recommend doing your own research but I’m stating what has worked for me and my opinion
Proves it

. Especially since she was unaware that toads adore dark caves which is something that seemed to surprise her. That's basic care. Provide dark, moist hiding places for them.
Ok but I do know that I just was saying I would have to look into types/sizes/how to redecorate it to fit a cave. They do have moist dark places they they love but I do not own a cave at the moment

So basically @Valkyrie_Lips, she was exaggerating in the beginning... Like I thought she was. Sometimes you can't take everything with an over 50% assurance that they are being serious. @Lemon is smart and knows that she is caring for living creatures, so she wouldn't neeglect her animals or not research them properly. Like she said: "I did years of research before I ended up actually keeping these animals". Her words not mine

I would just like to note how this went from a calm “I wanna show off something I’m proud of” to speed typing because I feel inexperienced 😅
Andi didn't think I would ever be getting in a confrontation on this thread to defend someone 😂😂

Like she said: "I did years of research before I ended up actually keeping these animals". Her words not mine
Took me two years to show my mom I knew enough about their care before I was allowed my first one and we only went up from there (started with a male from a reptile and amphibian breeder friend who kept them as fun, he was in a 10 gallon then we got the 25-30 and got two more then four tadpoles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back