Red tiger lotus in small tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Bicyclemaster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I want to make a 5-10g shrimp tankin which I want to put red tiger lotus as a center piece and I was wondering if it is feasible in such a small tank. I know that they can grow quite big and that they use a lot of nutrients so I'm quite skeptical if I can use it or not. I plan to use mostly red plants in this tank so I don't want it to be a problem for other plants.

Your red tiger lotus may not stay very red because if you dose additional iron you could kill your shrimp. If you use a regular all-inclusive type of fertilizer which contains some iron, your shrimp should be OK. The red colored plants generally need more iron to maintain their color though and I donā€™t think that (tank full of red plants) is a good combination for a shrimp tank, personally. Shrimp are sensitive to metals in their water.

If you allow the red tiger lotus to reach the surface, you wonā€™t have much to see inside the tank except for several thin leaf stalks reaching the surface. It wonā€™t be a great centerpiece plant, unless you keep it small and bushy.

The roots of the lotus can easily take over a tiny tank also and smother out anything else that youā€™re trying to grow in the substrate too (all those other red stem plants). I keep my red tiger lotus in a 4ā€ pot filled with aquarium gravel (and one root tab) and when I clean the tank I pick up the pot and trim any roots coming out of the pot. I also keep trimming the leaves because I want the leaves to stay shorter and bushy. When they grow as tall as I would like them to be, I trim then. I donā€™t want the leaves to reach the surface of my 30 gallon tank even though it is an open top tank and I certainly could allow plants to reach the surface and flower. I like the red look too but I also like all the green I have in that tank and I want to keep it that way. I also have no shrimp in this particular tank.

Go ahead and try it, but it is probably best ā€œon paperā€ than ā€œin practiceā€.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back