Red-Tailed Sharks

No, red tailed sharks are not community fish. They should not be kept in a smaller tank than a 20 gallon. If the tank is heavily planted and hiding places and 'territorial durisdictions' are set up, you could keep a max of 2 in a 20gallon.
If all you have is a community tank, don't get one, they will eat your fish!

The red tailed shark will not eat your other fish :blink: , and they are fine in community set up with good tank size.

I would not recommend a red tailed black shark for your 15 gallon tank, community or other wise.

My RTBS has not ate any fish yet :blink:

Mine either.
But I had two and they fought so bad that one had a split dorsal fin and is now living with my mother. His dorsal has completely healed up and is living with a breeding factory of guppies. I told her that she might lose some babies, but nothing has happened, YET. I think he is still too small.
But we will see.
The really do better alone :look:

It would have to be a small fish in order for a RTB to eat it....but...they can be agressive and should have lots of room...I have one in my 65 and he just loves bugging my tiger barbs. Not a suitable fish for a 15-20gal.

digital_run said:
It would have to be a small fish in order for a RTB to eat it....but...they can be agressive and should have lots of room...I have one in my 65 and he just loves bugging my tiger barbs. Not a suitable fish for a 15-20gal.
My RTBS also bothers my tiger barbs.

But I notice it kinda keeps my Tiger barbs in check, sometimes if the tigers bother my cories (which are only fish my RTBS allows in its territory) He will chase them off.

However, he will not bother any other fish in tank besides the tigers!

Thats why he is the king of the tank!

oh no. i just bought a rtbs to go in my 30 gallon with my tiger barbs yesterday. I havent seen any bad behavior yet but you guys are getting me worried.

My rtbs was the king of my 45 gallon. Before he was in there he killed two bala sharks in a 50 gallon. I probably had the most aggressive rtbs ever,but I loved him and kept him for a long time. I recently gave him back to his original owner because the deaths and injuries became too much!!
My rtbs was fully grown and had gorgeous colouring but he had to go in the end.....it was either him or all the other fish in the tank. -_-
Oh, and just to add......since he went back to his original owner,he has apparently eaten two tiny clown loaches!!!!!!! If thats not a nightmare ,I don't know what is!!

kittybug said:
oh no. i just bought a rtbs to go in my 30 gallon with my tiger barbs yesterday. I havent seen any bad behavior yet but you guys are getting me worried.
Dont worry, my RTBS never really catches them, only gets them out of his territory

:lol: when i first started, i brought a rtbs with cories, and, they were in the same cave, seems like they are good friendsright?, wrong, it killed my coires, by bullying them to death, it was so stresful, no where for my cories to hid, if you look at my sig, you will see a cave, it is where my shark used tohang out, he never leaves except for feeding time, his colors were so beutiful, when i took it back to my pet shop, they gave me 5 cories, but then, when i looked at the price cories were like total of $20 value but the shark was only 4 so the shop owner liked it so much he said he is gonna buy it for himself! :lol:

i think that the more fish for your rtbs to bully, the more dark it's color become! it was so beutiful :fun: with a fat tummy :whistle: eating all my fry!! :no:

Fish Buddy said:
No, red tailed sharks are not community fish. They should not be kept in a smaller tank than a 20 gallon. If the tank is heavily planted and hiding places and 'territorial durisdictions' are set up, you could keep a max of 2 in a 20gallon.
If all you have is a community tank, don't get one, they will eat your fish!
Eat your fish my a$$. That is such BS. I have one and he is doing fine. Occasionally chases a fish but thats it.

Most reactions

Back