Red Snakehead

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

8inary

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 1000tr tank with mixed cichlids and oddballs, I have however just bought for the same tank, a Red Snakehead, just wondered if anyone has had these are what your thoughts are about them eating cichlids etc.

I've heard they pretty much kill anything in the tank. I could be wrong, but I think thats what I read.

hmm pretty much what I thought, bugger, I better get him back to the shop, pitty really, he looks lovely

Yes it should definitely go, grows very large (around 3 foot or so IIRC) and is one of the most (if not the most) aggressive freshwater fish, which would, and has attacked humans in the wild.

If it makes you feel better the nice colouration of a baby channa micropeltes (red snakehead) fades with age.

:lol: is all i have to say, even thinking of putting one of these monsters in a community setting is like inviting a fat guy to an all you can eat buffet.

Yes it should definitely go, grows very large (around 3 foot or so IIRC) and is one of the most (if not the most) aggressive freshwater fish, which would, and has attacked humans in the wild.

If it makes you feel better the nice colouration of a baby channa micropeltes (red snakehead) fades with age.

Must be just me but I love the colouration of an adult giant snakehead, especially the bluer ones, but I can't stand the young look.
giant_snakehead_39.jpg

Many people are persuaded to buy them as they see the bright red little cute baby ones that look like nothing else you could buy unless it's dyed. The adults are stunning, yes, but that fish in the picture is wild caught so has bolder colouration, and although the adults are stunning other smaller snakehead like bleheri are yet more colourful and a much more realistic option.

I wish snakeheads weren't illegal in the U.S.

Unless you want to invest in a massive tropical tank/pond to hold a fish that will kill anything else in the tank even if it's bigger than itself and could bite your arm off you don't want a micropeltes :lol:

:lol: is all i have to say, even thinking of putting one of these monsters in a community setting is like inviting a fat guy to an all you can eat buffet.

:lol:

Yes take it back. you will lose everything.

For God's sake DO NOT RELEASE IT INTO THE WILD. It is VERY likely to establish itself in local waters with no natural enemies. Anyone who releases any non-native creature into the environment should be shot from a circus cannon into a bed of nails which is hanging on a masonry wall. Zebra Mussels, snakeheads, african bees, Japanese beetles: all created environmental nightmares because some nauseating pile of human filth thought of "lettin' 'em return to nature." Would dearly LOVE to identify the brain dead moron who imported carp to North America. He should be denounced and his descendants hounded! Seriously, no one, PLEASE let a pet "go native."

For God's sake DO NOT RELEASE IT INTO THE WILD. It is VERY likely to establish itself in local waters with no natural enemies. Anyone who releases any non-native creature into the environment should be shot from a circus cannon into a bed of nails which is hanging on a masonry wall. Zebra Mussels, snakeheads, african bees, Japanese beetles: all created environmental nightmares because some nauseating pile of human filth thought of "lettin' 'em return to nature." Would dearly LOVE to identify the brain dead moron who imported carp to North America. He should be denounced and his descendants hounded! Seriously, no one, PLEASE let a pet "go native."

Who said anything about releasing it?

Who said anything about releasing it?
Well, if someone bought a fish that he did not know anything about and found that it was unsuitable for his purpose, that person MIGHT consider releasing it into the wild if their alternative was to destroy it. I'm NOT accusing anyone HERE of doing such a thing. But, it HAS been done in the past. I think that no one should ever actually BUY a fish unless they know something about it. No one who knew anything about snakeheads would ever consider putting them in with other fish. They are STONE killers, PERIOD.

I was puerely airing my concerns over something that I thought was suitable and subsequently turns out, not to be...oops.

I have a friend who took the fish and once he placed it in his tank, it came up with a fish in it's mouth, oops again, he has it in a seperate tank now, awaiting to take it back to the shop from where I bought it.

Pitty really, they look a lovely fish, but I am not prepared to lose any of mine for it lol.

Most reactions

Back