Red Rams?

SchottayB

Mr. Terrorcore!
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
Hi guys, my friend recently sold her fish tank on eBay and the person who brought the tank didnt want the fish she had left in there, so I was there... being nice... decided to take them off her to add in my community tank.

She said they are called Red Rams. I've not heard of them lol... but still, they are in my tank with guppys, platy, danios and tetra, they get on ok with the fish in the tank, but they look like they are always being agressive to each other?

Can they not be kept in a tank together or is it because my tank is only 80L and dont have alot of room?


Thanks!



If they don't belong in my tank, i'll take them to my pet store tomorrow :good:
 
Google bolivian rams and see if they look the same.

Also, if they aren't a breeding pair then it wouldn't surprise me that they fight in an 80l. I had two in my 125l but as they weren't a pair (possibly both males), there was a constant bickering between them.
 
As above, they are most likely Bolivian rams. You might need to adjust your tank layout so there are distinct territories. My guess is that they will soon settle down once they work out who has what space in the tank, since they have only just been added. If they haven't settled after 1-2 weeks, consider adding another cave/flowerpot or two.
 
That pic is a german blue ram, they require 20g a pair, so your ok on the tank size, compatible with the other fish so Ok there too, however, they can be territorial, so hence the nipping. You may need to rehome one or both, or try taking both fish out, re-arrange the tank and then put them back again, sometimes it sorts the problem out.
 
I do like them, little guys... although what would you reccomend ... taking both into a pet shop or keeping hold of one? I don't want to keep one on his own if no other fish will play with him lol because they look so lonaly!

One wont come from behind the plants/filter and the other swims normal with the guppys and platys but stays low
 
That's the problem I had with my rams. One laid claim to the whole of the tank, and the other was forced to stay around the filter until I re-homed it.

Have you ID'd them yet btw?
 
That's the problem I had with my rams. One laid claim to the whole of the tank, and the other was forced to stay around the filter until I re-homed it.

Have you ID'd them yet btw?

Sorry not yet, the girl I got them off said she brought them from a pet shop and they was named "Red Ram" with arround 12 in the tank. She paid £5 for them both, this was 3 months ago,

My camera is crap, but I can try get them on a video for you if you like?

I think i'm best off taking them both back, I don't think its looks very kind in the tank anymore lol, sad to say as they look nice :(

Can't win them all eh.. :angry:
"
 
Thinking if I take these to a pet store, and see if they will exchange them for other fish ... what can I go for in a tank with tetra, guppy, danio, platty, molly .... somthing nice :hyper:

I seen red cherry shrimp the other day at my pet store... they was... oh so... small? I couldnt belive it £4 each! was no bigger than my little finger nail haha



Edit: Just noticed one of these rams has a rite chunk missing on his back fin :blink:
 
if you were closer i would have them both off you. im going for some bolivians next!!

they are well nice fish.

1 of my german blue's chases the other around,and the chaser is huuuuge!!

but 1 little gold ram i have chases him,so its what go around,comes around,lol

Thinking if I take these to a pet store, and see if they will exchange them for other fish ... what can I go for in a tank with tetra, guppy, danio, platty, molly .... somthing nice :hyper:

I seen red cherry shrimp the other day at my pet store... they was... oh so... small? I couldnt belive it £4 each! was no bigger than my little finger nail haha



Edit: Just noticed one of these rams has a rite chunk missing on his back fin :blink:

i bet its the 1 being chased with the chunk missing?
 
if you were closer i would have them both off you. im going for some bolivians next!!

they are well nice fish.

1 of my german blue's chases the other around,and the chaser is huuuuge!!

but 1 little gold ram i have chases him,so its what go around,comes around,lol

Thinking if I take these to a pet store, and see if they will exchange them for other fish ... what can I go for in a tank with tetra, guppy, danio, platty, molly .... somthing nice :hyper:

I seen red cherry shrimp the other day at my pet store... they was... oh so... small? I couldnt belive it £4 each! was no bigger than my little finger nail haha



Edit: Just noticed one of these rams has a rite chunk missing on his back fin :blink:

i bet its the 1 being chased with the chunk missing?


Haha, i'd of let ya if you was closer fella.

The one with the chunk missing is the one who hangs arround with the small guppy at the front lol, the other one i've only seen once and that was in the bag that we used to transfer him to my tank! He just doesnt come out.
 
if you were closer i would have them both off you. im going for some bolivians next!!

they are well nice fish.

1 of my german blue's chases the other around,and the chaser is huuuuge!!

but 1 little gold ram i have chases him,so its what go around,comes around,lol

Thinking if I take these to a pet store, and see if they will exchange them for other fish ... what can I go for in a tank with tetra, guppy, danio, platty, molly .... somthing nice :hyper:

I seen red cherry shrimp the other day at my pet store... they was... oh so... small? I couldnt belive it £4 each! was no bigger than my little finger nail haha



Edit: Just noticed one of these rams has a rite chunk missing on his back fin :blink:

i bet its the 1 being chased with the chunk missing?


Haha, i'd of let ya if you was closer fella.

The one with the chunk missing is the one who hangs arround with the small guppy at the front lol, the other one i've only seen once and that was in the bag that we used to transfer him to my tank! He just doesnt come out.

oh no,if worst comes to the worst, i would say rehome the agressive 1, the poor chap hidden away will hopefully come out then and be happy
 
Think I will mate, if not they will both be going to a pet store :).

Any ideas what I should get to replace them?

Stock = 4 guppy, 6 danio, 2 molly, 2 platy, 8 tetra :good:
 
Try to get some pics of them up. And if you do decide to return either one or both, look at some corydoras or chain loaches.
 
Think I will mate, if not they will both be going to a pet store :).

Any ideas what I should get to replace them?

Stock = 4 guppy, 6 danio, 2 molly, 2 platy, 8 tetra :good:


sounds okay i think, its 2" per gallon when the tank is fully matured up :) :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top