Red (Pink) Zebra Danios

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Unfortunately, they will not sit still and pose for a nice photo..... But I post these (bad photos) to give an indication of the colour......

Are these a new strain or are they artificially propogated in some way???

redZebra009.jpg

redZebra005.jpg

are these not the genetically modified 'GloFish'? Danios that have had their genes altered and are available in orange, green and red/pink???

are these not the genetically modified 'GloFish'? Danios that have had their genes altered and are available in orange, green and red/pink???

I'm not sure Zoddy...... They do look exactly like Zebra Danios, but are just this pinkish colour..... (even the stripes are visible)

They don't look a bright enough pink to be Glofish to me; are they albinos perhaps? A lot of albino fish retain the red/pink pigmentaion.

They don't look a bright enough pink to be Glofish to me; are they albinos perhaps? A lot of albino fish retain the red/pink pigmentaion.
No... deffo not albinos...... I just wish they'd sit still for a second so's I can get a decent pic..... I'll try get another pic

I'd say these are Glo-fish. I've seen some images of quite pale Pink Glo-fish on the internet before and these look like them. The only colour morph of Z.Danio is Gold IIRC.

I have the same fish. The are Glofish, modified Zebra Danios. two of mine are red (not pink) and look like your photo, I also have 1 yellow and 1 orange

It's hard to tell, but they look rather like my pink (I swear it isn't red) GloFish. If you look closely at the sides of my pink one, you can still make out faint stripes.

what have they been genetically modified with??

jelly fish? like that crazy glow in the dark rabbit??

TC

what have they been genetically modified with??

jelly fish? like that crazy glow in the dark rabbit??

TC
yes

http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/glofish.html

weird. the article says sea coral. Which is even weirder than jelly fish really since coral is almost more like a plant than an animal.
oh my!

I guess their diet could influence the colour? Similar to how salmon are coloured.

My bet is that they're GM though.

I set them up in a tank where they can do a bit of growing, but this morning they were spawning vigorously..... If we accept that they are genetically interfered with species...... will they be hybrids, or can I expect some fry if they spawn..... (also of the red variety)??

I set them up in a tank where they can do a bit of growing, but this morning they were spawning vigorously..... If we accept that they are genetically interfered with species...... will they be hybrids, or can I expect some fry if they spawn..... (also of the red variety)??

From what I've read, the fry will also be GloFish. I can't verify this, though, as mine have never spawned.

From what I've read, the fry will also be GloFish. I can't verify this, though, as mine have never spawned.
Yep the fry should always have the glowing gene. They are not like dyed fish, their colour is permanent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back