Red Honey Gourami Unusual Colouration

bolivian_d

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
One of my "red" honey gourami's has an unusual colouration on its fins (mainly tail). It was like that the day I picked it up, but it appears to be more pronounced. It's a mixture of white dots/blotches and black streaks. I can't work out if it's just a natural deviation of normal or its an sign of illness. I've considered a few things... but have ultimately crossed them off.

White Spot - It is most definately not white spot, despite there being white blotches on the tail fin. I am unfortunately familar with white spot, they've been in my tank for over a week and I'd know it if it was. EDIT: Surely it couldn't be....

Fin Rot - Maybe. However, there doesn't appear to be any softening or break down of the fins. They appear to be perfectly in tact at this point. Although, I hadn't noticed small whitening of the bottom fin until this morning.

Fungus - Maybe. Of all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't match what I have. The colouration isn't furry or fungus like in appeareance.

Natural - Maybe.

Just imagine a brick wall with splashes of white and black paint all over it.

Water quality is great. Fish are eating and appear happy. The gourami in question seems to be king of the castle and will chase off the other gourami's. It might just be a matter of playing the waiting game. I wish I had a photo. Given that description, any ideas?

Edit: It may be my imagination but I swear the fish appears to be going darker. Its underbelly looks like it's a darker shade. The streaks in the backfin look darker. This is just weird. Sure, it's a little aggressive and goes up top to breath air but that's what gourami's do. It eats like anything and is showing no signs of suffering.

I really, really can not afford to restock my tank again. This is my first tank and I don't have a quarantine tank. Any ideas?
 
If you have had the fish for more than a couple of weeks then it is probably just colour and nothing to worry about. Male honey dwarf gouramis actually develop black on their face & ventral (stomach) side. The fact this fish seems to be boss would indicate it is a male and probably just starting to mature and show its full colour.
 
It sounds far better than it looks. :) It would look awesome without the white spots. The black streaks are nice.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top