Red Honey Gourami Sits At Bottom Of Tank!

Ifti

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I added 2 Red honey gouramis to my tank yesterday (cycled). Tank is around 8 months old etc.

One of the two stays mainly down the bottom but is swimming around happily. Seems perfectly fine.
The other just sits still at the bottom of the tank. Every few mins it will swim vertically up to the top, grab some air, then settle back down to the bottom and sit still again.

All of my other fish seem perfectly fine, and swimming around happily.

Water conditions are fine, and temperature is also good.

Is it just shy, stressed because its new, or something wrong? It doesn't hide at all, sometimes just sits at the front of the tank and doesn't move, unless going up to the top momentarily.

I added 2 Red honey gouramis to my tank yesterday (cycled). Tank is around 8 months old etc.

One of the two stays mainly down the bottom but is swimming around happily. Seems perfectly fine.
The other just sits still at the bottom of the tank. Every few mins it will swim vertically up to the top, grab some air, then settle back down to the bottom and sit still again.

Is it just shy, stressed because its new, or something wrong? It doesn't hide at all, sometimes just sits at the front of the tank and doesn't move, unless going up to the top momentarily.

I got a pair of Gouramis a few weeks back and the did the exact same, but within the week the all seemed to be swimming about as normal and they have been fine since.

Could be the same thing that's happening with you Gourami?

I got a pair of Gouramis a few weeks back and the did the exact same, but within the week the all seemed to be swimming about as normal and they have been fine since.

Could be the same thing that's happening with you Gourami?

I hope so. One is swimming around happily. Just a little concerned about the other!

Keep an eye, could be nothing or could be something bacterial. I've had a few Honey Gs and absolutely loved them but I don't care what anyone says.....they are every bit as sensitive as Dwarfs!

Yeh i had something like this it was with my dg he was fine then suddenly he just sat there for a day at the bottom of the tank the next day at the top of the water the final day floating t top or lieing in plant the he died

Both my females are fine just him he also wldnt eat :( R.I.P

Woke up this morning and found it dead :(

I dont understand why. ALl my other fish are fine and happy. Even the other Red Honey I purchased alongside this dead one is swimming around happily!

It could just be our luck that both of our gourami had DGD
Its a genetic disease no cure it affects some and dosnt effect others :(

That's my first ever dead fish :(
I'm at least glad that the other is happy, will have to get another companion now.

Can I get a Dwarf with a Red Honey in the same tank?

Is your remaining Honey female? If yes then yeah I guess so.

Sorry this has happened. I had exactly the same problems which is why I gave up on them in the end. I've had 5 in total, none living longer than 3 months. Min was just a week :( . I do honestly beleive they are just very senstive fish and personally I think they do have/get a strain of Dwarf Gourami Disease.

I've had some Sparklers for best part of a year now and had no probs illness wise with them at all. They're cool but they'll never be Honeys. I'm actually thinking of trying Honeys again with a couple more when I get my bigger tank in a few weeks.

I THINK (not sure though) Sparklers are meant to be the worst Gourami to put with Betta coz they look so similar. Could be wrong! :)

Most reactions

Back