Red Ear Slider Turtles

heymickey94

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. I just purchased a large red ear slider (around 8 inches) and I have a couple of questions. What can I use for a basking area for a turtle this large that wont take up to much tank space? I have 2 lamps a red one for the night that is over the water area and a regular one over the basking area, is this okay. I will feed him turtle pellets, occasional feeder fish, fruits and vegetables, is this okay? How do I make the turtle more tame/friendly? Thats about it for now, thanks.

Well i've used cork bark for my basking area. Its natural and i don't believe in those little stadiums with suckers, hmm. I just got a large piece and cut it to size and then wedged it in the tank so it can't move. Looks beautiful!

That feeding schedule seems good although i wouldn't give him fruits so regularly, every 2 months or so is fine. The natural sugar in fruit is harder to digest!

You probably won't need the light for night. turtles need their sleep too! Most people just turn all lights off at night, and my land area doesn't go below 80 anyway. You can get moonlight lamps to keep a natural moon light orrrr get a heat emitter for night, but i doubt thats how it is in the wild, eh? :good:

Just handle them for a few minutes a day at first, get them used to being handled. They're not really cuddly animals and you'll just have to be patient =)

Hmm any good big pet store or garden company. E.G Pets at home do wood, but only rubbish wood in the one closest to me. A reptile shop would be greatttt but i know they're pretty rare. Anywhere with a reptile department? I rang around a few places first before wasting my petrol. Drift wood is good too (if you can find any)

Ooh, cork bark is sold on ebay too! Just have to make sure you soak it first. I found a locust in my big chunk =|

If you go down the cork bark route then I'd make sure you sterilise it first - Jellypigs is right... you often get 'hitch-hikers' with it
I've never used cork bark for my turtles as it has to be wedged in... I'm worried that when it gets wet and expands that it might place stress on the glass. It probably wouldn't but I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to my tanks.

Turtle Docks (by Zoo-med) are - in my opinion - the easiest and most user-friendly basking area available. There is no rick of damage from heavy rocks, easy to clean, easy to relocate and rises / falls with the water level. The only problem is they sometimes perish after about a year or so.

I personally wouldn't give my Sliders and fruit... just stick to dandelion, some carrot now and again, duckweed, the odd defrosted lance fish, dried bugs (such as crickets) etc.

Avoid Mealworms as they are very fatty and contain little nutritional value (although the Mealworm beetle does). If you offer fruit then you might create feeding problems - Sliders can sometimes turn their noses up at what should be their staple diet and hang-out for the 'tasty' treats. Try to avoid feeding live fish, crickets etc. as you may be introducing parasites (especially with crickets)

Sam :)

humm although with feeding live fish if you do decyde to take that route (prob best not to) make sure you know they fish you feed to the turtle. so in other words breed the fish youself to make sure you know ther healthy! thats what i am doing (although i did feel bad about putting the fish in the tank so i took it strait back out again lol) may have 2 rehome them instead :p
but never buy fish from a LFS to feed turtles with. can be dangerous for turtle and is acually illegual (we think)

if you want to get all the info you will ever need on terrapins go to this forums HERE!

I used to have a red eared slider about that size, I was a kid so I don't remember much about how the tank was set up. We used to feed him feeder fish too. However one time we got three fish for him and he never ate them. I accidentally washed two down the sink when I was cleaning his tank and I think the other one just died. I remember them being in there for months!

I would let him run around my room occasionally, with close observation of course, and that guy was fast! He was never real friendly but if you picked him up right, he couldn't bite you.

I think you'll have a lot of fun with your turtle.

(I also remember mine sort of becoming less active in the winter...he ate much less)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back