🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF!

I have an Albino BNP that I have for over 6 months now. He lives in a planted 29g tank along with 8 neon tetras, RCS and MTS/BRH snails.

I just noticed today he has a red area on his head. I know that because he is albino, you can see his organs and such.

Is this normal? This is the best picture I could get.

no picture :)

But you can normally see pink or red areas under the skin on most light coloured fish.
If the area goes bright red over a day or two, then it is usually an infection and the fish is unwell.

The photo didn't upload, here lets try it again...
P1070457.JPG

As you can see, right in front of his pectoral fins, there is red area. What is this?

There's no picture. Its normal to see a red patch on the head of a BN (in the middle behind the eyes)

Oh, there it is. It looks normal like most of the other albino BN that I've seen.

Ok, thanks guys. I was just wondering if it was normal, because I just noticed it. :fish:

I'm not totally sure that is normal, and if you just noticed it, then it might be something to worry about.

Is the yellow body colour the same all over the fish or does it turn creamy white near the red area?
It looks like it is cream near the red section. This could mean an infection or excess mucous.

Try the usual 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two and see if it changes. If it remains the same and the fish is still eating and pooping normally, then don't worry about it. But if the fish stops eating the area gets bigger or changes, then post another picture.

Just checked, he is his normal color.

I just might not have noticed it before. He is pretty reclusive and spends most of his time under my big driftwood piece.

I will keep and eye on him though and tell you if there are any new developments.

How often should I feed him? I usually feed him 1 blanched cucumber slice each week, but I fear that this isn’t as often as it should be?

Is there algae and driftwood in the tank?
If not then feed every 2 days. You can alternate with different types of foods including algae wafers, dark green leafy vegetables, cucumber, zucchini, pumpkin, etc. Just make sure they are clean and free of chemicals.

Don't feed them any potatoe or onions or onion relatives (leek, shallot, spring onion, garlic).

Yes, there is a big piece of Moapian (I think I’m saying that right?) driftwood in there, along with another big piece.

There is also I thin layer of Algae that I purposely keep on the sides so my snails, shrimp, and pleco and feed off of it.

If you have mopani driftwood and algae then feeding cucumber a couple of times a weeks should be fine, but try to alternate it a bit and use cucumber one day and something else the next time.

You can feed it every day if you like even with algae and wood in the tank. Just remove uneaten food after a few hours.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back