Reccomendations on test equipment.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jackhorn01

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place for this one, but it looked good lol. What is the best water testing kit for a 10 gallon nano tank. I am new to going this extra mile and trying to learn all these things I wish I would have known back in the day. The API master freshwater test kit seems to be popular from what I have read so far and will tell me what I need to know. . Is this one what alot of you would recommend?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this one, but it looked good lol. What is the best water testing kit for a 10 gallon nano tank. I am new to going this extra mile and trying to learn all these things I wish I would have known back in the day. The API master freshwater test kit seems to be popular from what I have read so far and will tell me what I need to know. . Is this one what alot of you would recommend?
I use the API Liquid kit. Note that SOMETIMES you’ll need to test twice, for whatever reason my PH test will turn dark blue sometimes when in reality the PH is 7.2, and when I test a second time right after the first test it measures correctly. Other than that it’s fairly accurate, but it doesn’t come with GH, KH, or Phosphate tests, those are separate purchases.

One thing to be aware of is that liquid nitrate tests, whether they have 2 or 3 bottles depending on the brand, have one bottle which has a reagent which is not very soluble so it settles on the bottom of the bottle, and can solidify if not used for some time. The instructions will tell you to shake the bottle before adding drops to to the tube. This is an important step as it redistributes that not vey soluble ingredient throughout the liquid. In fact, shake it longer than the instructions say, and tap the bottle on a hard surface before shaking to break up any lumps. With the API nitrate tester, and possibly other brands, the test tube needs to be shaken as well after the drops are added.

If you want to go the extra mile, get higher quality liquid tests like the Salifert freshwater tests. I started using the Salifert tests on my reef tank and they are noticably easier to use than the API test kits. They are more expensive.

If you're feeling posh or have poor eyesight and/or color recognition you could go for the Hanna tests. These give the test result in a digital read out. Some of the Hanna tests are worse than others, so I would do some research first. A single Hanna tester costs more than the entire API master test kit though.

Over the years I have determine that for me and my FW tanks that I need to have the following tests
ammonia, pH, KH and GH. And I use them in terms of frequency in that order. But I cycle filters in a bio-farm and not individual tanks. I also have a digital TDS tester which I use more often than the KH or GH kits.

Most reactions

trending

Back