Really fat cardinal tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aks3311

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum.
So I have 40l tank with 2 f.betta and 2 cardinal tetras and 5 black neon tetras. One of my cardinals is so so fat, he was a little big when I got him 4 months ago but seems to have ballooned ever since, but always seemed healthy, swims normal, eats normal. Last couple of days have noticed coupla markings on him and seems particularly fatter, still kinda normal, bit lathargic and points ever so slightly down. I have attached some photos. All my other fish are fine, no problems at all. My water peramaters are fine, do a weekly water change. I have starved the tank and fed them peas, which he ate a lot of and still looks the same. Oh yeah, he is a big eater. But I can't stop him from eating when the others need to eat. Just wondering if it is just a fatty or I need to be worried.

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_114811.jpg
    IMG_20200401_114811.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20200401_114726.jpg
    IMG_20200401_114726.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 307
hello and welcome to the forum :hi: Do you has any quarantine tank or hospital tank?

Unfortunately not atm, and as we're all in quarentine, can't get one atm:(

Last edited:
Probably egg bound. I know you are quarantined right now, so may not be able to fix this problem right away, but both of your shoals need to be increased:)

Probably egg bound. I know you are quarantined right now, so may not be able to fix this problem right away, but both of your shoals need to be increased:)
Thank you for you help :) how would I fix the egg bound problem? And yeah as soon
as I can I intend to increase.

Hopefully it would fix itself. Another member may be able to help with this because I am not super experienced with egg bound fish :)

I have several different types of tetras, The males is usually smaller and the females rounder. The males will chase the female around the tank when trying to breed. Leafy plants help and they also like floating plants. They prefer shade and should be in a shoal of at least 6 fish which is standard with tetras. They are schooling fish.

I am a new fish keeper so all this info is great thank you. I plan to get some more cardianals once this crazy time is sorted :)

I am a new fish keeper so all this info is great thank you. I plan to get some more cardianals once this crazy time is sorted :)
That's what were here for :)

I have floating plants for them like water sprite, hornwort and anacharis and plan on adding frogbit. Their fry also like hiding out in hornwort. Floating plants helps shade them. Tetras mostly come from South American Jungle streams. They like floating plants because it helps make them feel safe from birds which feed on them. I also have several ferns like Java, African water and crested Java Ferns which are good choices. They like to hide in the leaves and also helps when they are mating and protect their eggs. I try and have 10 or more in my tetras shoals. ;)

So the only issue I have with plants is that I didn't set my tank up with substrait or anything because I shyed away from plants as I was worried it would be too much for me manage as a beginner. I realise I have made idiot error but is there anyway around this?

You can add substrate still. Well washed sand or gravel would be easy to add. Just fill up a small container and tip onto the bottom of the tank. Shouldn't disturb anything.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

It is very unlikely that the fish has an actual medical problem. It is most likely an egg bound female. Try to limit the lighting in the tank to make her more comfortable. Also, do you have java moss? They love making a nest in java moss to lay their eggs in. ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back