Really Bad Move On My Part.

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
So I was doing a water change on my 55 gal tank. I was having problems because I sucked up a bit of plants leaves and they clogged the hose. So I fixed that but the end in the bucket in the tub. started the syphon back up and then heard a clunk. I though the hose end must have fallen out of the bucket and into the tube. No big deal so I took out another 15% of the water.

My husband goes in the hall to our daughters room and notices water everywhere. Turns out I was emptying my tank all over the bathroom floor. It is awful we are still drying it out. Fish water everywhere. It leaked to the down stairs too. This was the biggest disaster I have had with my tank. I feel so stupid I should have checked on the clunck sound when I head it.

The hall ways smells of fish water. But the tank is clean.

Anyone ever pull something like this before?
 
So I was doing a water change on my 55 gal tank. I was having problems because I sucked up a bit of plants leaves and they clogged the hose. So I fixed that but the end in the bucket in the tub. started the syphon back up and then heard a clunk. I though the hose end must have fallen out of the bucket and into the tube. No big deal so I took out another 15% of the water.

My husband goes in the hall to our daughters room and notices water everywhere. Turns out I was emptying my tank all over the bathroom floor. It is awful we are still drying it out. Fish water everywhere. It leaked to the down stairs too. This was the biggest disaster I have had with my tank. I feel so stupid I should have checked on the clunck sound when I head it.

The hall ways smells of fish water. But the tank is clean.

Anyone ever pull something like this before?

nope but, once when i had to go out to the city, i left my brother and dad to cleanmy tank! :rolleyes:, when they were cleaning it out my dad puts the hose in the filter to fill up the tank (its an internal juwel stock filter) the water flows out the intake that way and cleans the intake spaces from dirt and stuff, anyway, when my dad put it in he heard a small crack sound below his face!! the heater had cracked in 2 :crazy: it was from the reaction of cold meets hot, luckily it only snaped in 2 so the fish were safe the other lucky thing was that i was already in the city at where my lfs is so i just popped down and got a new heater... in the end my dad paid for the new heater and learns from his mistakes for the future

hope this was help and warned u not to do the same in the near future

cheers*
JRD
 
lol yeah i have, was exhausted one night and fell asleep on the sofa, early hours i hear this horrendous gurgling noise and try to ignore it and go back to sleep, woke up a few hours later to find that the noise was my filter running without water as the air pump had vibrated its way onto the floor and drained the tank!!.. was not impressed i can tell you

( the tank was about 100 lites and less than 6ft away from where i was sleeping, and the floor was very very wet)
 
When I was a wee lad I once brought myself an acrylic tank with my paper-round wages! No-one warned me about the fact that heaters can actually melt through the plastic - my mom was non to pleased when water leaked from the tank all down my newly decorated bedroom wall and straight through to the light fitting in the dining room downstairs.

My four guppies survived a whole day of me being at school in little less than an inch of water.
 
The first time i ever took filter apart to put filter floss in i hadn't closed one of the side clips (external eheim) turned it on and went away into kitchen to empty last bucket of tank water . Sitting listening to the gurgling sound thinking it was the washing machine ...Came back in to find the tank less than half full and all the water all over livingroom floor ! Murder to clean but could at least move the tank out to mop underneath before the laminate split !
 
installing my fx5 i had my input pipe plugged in by external un plugged, i thought for some crazy reason it would empty the external pipe but i soon realized i was emptying my tank as water came spewing out the top of my filter where the pipe should be connected.
 
So with these big water spills was there any long term damage done to your home?

My fish tanks are more problems then all 3 dogs. When people this fish keeping is easy they have no clue.
 
the laminate around and under my sofa was all warped, i just bought a rug to cover it as it cost £2000 to do in the first place, didnt put me off tho :lol:
 
lol yeah i have, was exhausted one night and fell asleep on the sofa, early hours i hear this horrendous gurgling noise and try to ignore it and go back to sleep, woke up a few hours later to find that the noise was my filter running without water as the air pump had vibrated its way onto the floor and drained the tank!!.. was not impressed i can tell you

( the tank was about 100 lites and less than 6ft away from where i was sleeping, and the floor was very very wet)

####!!!

ive spilt 1 gallon on the floor =/ tat was alot imo lol
 
First time I ever filled up my first tank, I had the airtubing in place in the tank (I still don't know why I put that in before filling it up to this day). As the tank was filling, I noticed that there was a bit of gravel stuck on the tank-end of the airline (later discovered this was due to the suction pulling it on), and removed it. It was only when I got the tank about halfway filled that I realised it had been siphoning off through the airline and down the back of the cabinet it was sitting on, right into the carpet. Because it was airline and it was only going for a few minutes, it can't have been more than a few litres, but it was a touch on the scary side - carpet was wet through around the base of the cabinet, and my (expensive) PC was sitting on the floor right next to it, along with the multi-way power strip, monitor cables, you name it. Could have been seriously expensive!
 
its crazy how when i spilt a few litres it soaked so much!

it covered a huge surface area and went deep down :( i dont think i could live with spilling a couple of gallons :X id get killed!
 
Rule number one - a little water goes a lot further than you'd think!
 
I was filling a tank from the tap when I realised that the end of the hose had leaped out of the tank and was flailing around the front room, spraying water everywhere. Which reminds me, I need to make a restraining clip.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top