Re-stocking a 4ft community tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Flinkbag

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm doing water changes twice a week on my 4ft tank because I have a 18cm+ Green Severum Cichlid who causes nitrates to spike like nothing else. So needless to say he will be re-homed, and possibly my 3 clown loaches, to help with this issue. I'm considering getting dwarf american cichlids once the big guy is gone, but I'm not sure if they'll be suitable for the rest of the community. My current stocking is:

1x Firemouth cichlid (fully grown, male)
1x Purple Spotted Gudgeon (fully grown, male)
3x Clown loaches (all under 15cm. Yes I'm aware of how big they get and their tank size requirement)
1x Green Sev (too big, going soon!)
2x small Gouramis (under 10cm)
1x Yoyo loach (mature size)
1x Bristlenose cat (mature male)
1x Upside down catfish (fully grown)

Im considering getting:

1 or 2x Redbreast acaras
2x German Blue Rams
Possibly a small school of rosy or cherry barbs

My concern would be the Gudgeon and the Firemouth. They're tank mates, practically inseparable, and I'm worried the newcomers might face possible aggression or even death due to territoriality/hunger on the Gudgeon's behalf. What I'm looking for are fish that are fun to own, small, tough, and easy to care for. I want those nitrates to stay down for at least a week, not a few days like it is now.

I'm not trying to sound lazy, for the most part I enjoy maintaining this tank. It's just when I go on holiday my poor parents are the ones who have to keep up all the maintenance, and it's not fair on them to look after such a touchy system. So what I'm asking is does anyone have any other suggestions about what I should get? Once the Sev's gone, what kind of fish would you replace him with?

Thanks,

Sophie

Could you post the dimensions of your tank and the pH and hardness of your water, please?

That'll help us work out what might be best :)

Fluttermouth: my tank dimensions are the standard 4ft tank size. Roughly about 120cmL x 45cmW x 50cmH. General hardness usually sits around 130-150, PH is about 7.5 :)

Dutchmouth: it certainly sounds like a lot but a majority of these fish are quite small. Some days it looks as though there are no fish in the tank! I will probably end up selling the Clown Loaches on top of the Green Sev anyway, by which point it'll be pretty empty looking. A little more activity and colour in the tank without causing aggression is mainly what I'm after. But thank you for your honesty :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back