Rcs Gender

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hawil

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can you guys tell which one is the female or male?
Different angle but the same positions of RCS.
Can't get any better image, they just keep on roaming around

20r341j.jpg

a41zf5.jpg

If it has a yellow saddle on its back then its female.

If it has a yellow saddle on its back then its female.

I can't find any yellow color on any of them. But I have read that the yellow saddle will only show if the female is carrying shrimplets, I might be wrong though

Its not if carrying, mine show all the time but they do breed like rabbits. :)

The one on the right looks to be female, while the one with its backside up in the air looks like it could be male. If you do get a chance of some clearer/ closer pics it will help to see how far the shell extends down the sides of the rear legs where the females care for the eggs until hatching. In this region on shrimp the males are slim with no hanging down/ extended shell.

Its not if carrying, mine show all the time but they do breed like rabbits. :)

I envy you! Does it require special techniques to let them breed?

The one on the right looks to be female, while the one with its backside up in the air looks like it could be male. If you do get a chance of some clearer/ closer pics it will help to see how far the shell extends down the sides of the rear legs where the females care for the eggs until hatching. In this region on shrimp the males are slim with no hanging down/ extended shell.

Okay. I'll do my best. They move a lot :)

Food that they like is usually the best trick for getting them to stay in one spot where you can photograph them :good: .

Food that they like is usually the best trick for getting them to stay in one spot where you can photograph them :good: .

I tried boiled squash but they didn't come near it. Is it okay to try carrots?

Carrot is fine for them, they really will pick at anything that takes their fancy, mine can't resist the catfish wafers and algea wafers that are meant for the fish.

Here is a pic of a female cherry shrimp showing the longer sides of her shell I was talking about

P1070125.jpg

A female carrying eggs

P1040219.jpg

Carrot is fine for them, they really will pick at anything that takes their fancy, mine can't resist the catfish wafers and algea wafers that are meant for the fish.

Here is a pic of a female cherry shrimp showing the longer sides of her shell I was talking about

P1070125.jpg

A female carrying eggs

P1040219.jpg

I see now that is a clear shot. I'll post an image if I get one.

One thing I noticed though, do the legs differ in male and female? Around the tail area I think females has larger legs/flappers. Just my observation.

I would tend to say that with the side skirts on the females it is harder to tell just how long thier swimmer legs are while a males legs you can see clearly due to them lacking the extended sides.

I would tend to say that with the side skirts on the females it is harder to tell just how long thier swimmer legs are while a males legs you can see clearly due to them lacking the extended sides.

uhhm, If you won't mind can you post an image of a male? Can't get a good shot :S

I'll try to get a picture of a male, I usually have only photographed my females to compare and grade them.

I'll try to get a picture of a male, I usually have only photographed my females to compare and grade them.

Okay. Thank you. No rush.
By the way, is your tank dedicated only for RCS? If yes, how do you change the water?

No all my cherry shrimp are in with various fish, the only time I did have a tank dedicated the cherry shrimp they bred up a storm and then the heater malfuntioned and cooked nearly every single one of the shrimp. Doing water changes I possibly do lose the odd shrimplet even though I have a really fine mesh over the intake on the siphon hose, but the numbers would be minimal, and I don't put the fish water down the sink/ drain it all goies out on my gardens or lawn.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back