Rats!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have two rats and I love them soooooooooooooo much, anyone else have rats?

I did have, currently dont have any, miss em. They make awesome pets!!

I recently got back into them myself, hadn't had any since I was a kid, and I'm just enjoying the heck out of them.

Oh i thought we're talkig pest rats. Just killed one last night as it was trying to open and eat my pets' kibbles lol

I have 7 rats, we got 4 rescue rats a few months ago, our first ones. Yesterday we got 3 girls that we are fostering for a rat rescue, they are really cute pets :)

I have just tons of pictures of mine! I'll see if I can grab a pic of the two of them that best shows them off.

So here we have Rat, my distinguished black rat, helping me use the computer.  He's quite good at it.  Squish is featured in my snuggly fleece blanket stretched out having a relaxing cuddle.  And just one more of them together so you can see their cute little faces and Squish's siamese markings.

Attachments

• Rat.jpg
    Rat.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Squish.jpg
    Squish.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Cuddle rats.jpg
    Cuddle rats.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 155
I had one. Her name was sneakers. I got her from a magician. :)
They are very great pets.

Tongue_Flicker said:
Oh i thought we're talkig pest rats. Just killed one last night as it was trying to open and eat my pets' kibbles lol
Just since I noticed your sugar glider... I thought I'd add that I've had them as well...and MUCH prefer the rats! rats are so much cuddlier and less likely to bite.  (but also need to be kept in at least a pair) Lots cheaper too =p

Haha! Sugar gliders are waaaay cheaper to buy and maintain here as i now have 5 lol.. I've always wondered how large rats are as pets? Do they move or run quickly? I hate them if they run quickly. We have pesky norway rats here the size of a big chihuahua that even cats or dogs are afraid to tackle haha! love mice when i was a kid but a rat's tail is kinda iffy to me >_<

how much are your suggies per critter? cause here they can be anywhere between 300-600 usd. Fancy rats are one heck of a ton slower than a sugar glider! mine mostly like to cuddle and explore casually but not run and leap. As well as being the domesticated version of your "pesky norway rat"  They don't seem to get as big as the wildies as we call them. My rats are still growing boys but I don't think they will get much bigger, certainly not bigger than my tiny almost chihuahua type dog.  Rat tails aren't creepy! the are actually very warm, a happy rat will wag it's tail like a dog and it's the cutest thing ever!

They usually cost anywhere between $45-$75 worth if i convert our currency. Price factors include, supply & demand per season, age & gender of the glider, state of seller (i.e. rush, quitting, moving), tameness of the glider. Got all 5 for $238 worth. Cage is easy, i converted my greenhouse for bromeliads haha.

I will consider getting an adult fancy rat this year. Which gender is better, males or females? As i've seen some rats in movies, i noticed they don't move around a lot?

We cant have gliders as pets here, they are native critters and illegal to own.

So rats are a thing here. Mine were trained to come when called, and litter trained. Awesome critters Will get myself some more one day

My family are big rat fans as well. Both my sons have had some lovely rats over the years. My youngest had one called Ratty that spent most of her time riding around in the hood of his hoody :) My eldest's last rat was called Rascal; he had his own Facebook page! He was a brilliant climber, and my son used to build him agility courses out of boxes and ropes for him. They all knew their names and came when called.

They have only one disadvantage as pets, IMO; they don't live very long :-(

True they are about a three year tops as opposed to the nearly fifteen of a sugar glider.  Don't just get one rat though they need to be at least a pair and it's best to buy two from the same cage at the store as they will already be used to eachother and you don't have to re introduce them.  As for boys or girls that's your call...girls tend to be a bit more active and don't get as large, boys get fat and lazy! So are much cuddlier typically. I have two boys and they are just loves.  Keep up on the cage cleaning and give them a bath now and then and and it cuts down the smell, which is really nothing compared to the smell of sugar gliders!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back