rare catfish?

They're finding new species of plecs from the loracariideae family faster than they can classify them, so they give them 'L-Numbers' as an interim measure. The 'L' refers to the catfish famility that they all belong to 'Lorcariideae'

Gold Nugget Pleco, Butterfly Pleco, Queen Arabesque pleco, the list goes on and on.

The ultimate in rare and beautiful catfish, Merodontotus tigrinus :wub:

Not quite as pretty but about a quarter of the price of the tigrinus Brachyplatystoma juruense

brachyplatystoma-juruense3.JPG

Not pretty at all but a must have for the catfish collecter with a fat wallet and a large empty tank, Psuedopimelodus fowleri.

pseudopimelodus-fowleri4.JPG

The ever elusive Hemisorubim platyrhynchos, took me 5 years to track this one down

post-22-1093462086.jpg

:lol: These fish dont really have common names and at the ammount they cost if you dont know the scientific names then you wouldnt be buying them. However recently some places have been giving these fish common names in a attempt to make them more customer friendly (shame they dont make the prices more wallet friendly!)

Merodontotus tigrinus=Zebra shovelnose

Brachyplatystoma juruense=Flash zebra shovelnose

Psuedopimelodus fowleri=Jelly catfish

Hemisorubim platyrynchos=Spotted shovelnose

Your right, I doubt i will buy them...well atleast not until i have my own house packed full of tanks!!

Your first picture isn't working by the way!!....

paul_v_biker said:
that L200 is wicked, love the shape of the fins on it.
We've got one *smug*
We found it at Shotgate aquatics in Billericay.

It cost us £35 and it's only an inch and a half long! :crazy:

CFC, there's a Merodontotus tigrinus for sale on Aquarist Classifieds at the moment if you want one.
A ten inch specimen for £230. Gorgeous fish.

zsn.jpg

Grr!! I think i'll have to find one for my next tank there too good not to miss out on!!

i went to sea pets and swallow aquatics today and saw some big shovel noses and tiger ones, great looks fish.

also see what you mean by the fahaka puffers minion, i think there was like 10 of them in that tank

paul_v_biker said:
also see what you mean by the fahaka puffers minion, i think there was like 10 of them in that tank
Yep and they're the same age as Martha, but Martha's now over six inches and those poor little buggers are still at two.

They've got bite marks on them from fighting too.

Ten Fahakas in a 20 gallon tank. Oh dear oh dear. :no:

There's also rare species of cories . . . :lol:

I'll mention c. similis and c. gossei

Most reactions

Back