Ramshorn snails .

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Iā€™ve seen Ramshorn snails ever since Moby Dick was a guppy and Iā€™m sure everybody else has too . There is a detailed article in a past issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist that states things about them that I never knew . For one thing they have a lung and breathe atmospheric air , they have red blood which makes them red in color and they eat one specific algae , plant matter or ā€œbiomeā€ - whatever that is - and if you move them they will starve if it isnā€™t there even though there may be plenty of other food . Has any of you guys ever heard this ? Anybody know anything else about this humble creature ?

They bury themselves into the substrate and play dead...or at least they do in my tank! I've never seen them at the surface though

They bury themselves into the substrate and play dead...or at least they do in my tank! I've never seen them at the surface though
I have a ten gallon aquarium with a mat of duckweed at the surface ( a bit redundant there - where else would it be ?) and the Ramshorn snails crawl underneath it and feast upon it . When they have gorged themselves they drop to the depths . Fun to watch . That tells you something about me - Iā€™m held spellbound watching snails .

Hello. They'll take over a tank in no time if you feed your fish too much. This snail is a great way to tell if you're overfeeding. If you get too many to the point they pile up in a corner of the tank, then you need to back off on the fish food. If you have too many, just drop a couple of leaves of iceberg lettuce into the tank and leave them in for a day or so. Snails can't resist this lettuce and will latch on. Then, just remove the lettuce and snails and toss everything into your composter. If you're wanting to get revenge on those snails, then you can also use the wooden spoon remedy. Just crush the shells and let them fall to the bottom of the tank. The wooden spoon won't scratch the tank and your fish will do the cleanup.

I have a ten gallon aquarium with a mat of duckweed at the surface ( a bit redundant there - where else would it be ?) and the Ramshorn snails crawl underneath it and feast upon it . When they have gorged themselves they drop to the depths . Fun to watch . That tells you something about me - Iā€™m held spellbound watching snails .
I love to watch them too, they're faster on foot than other aquatic snails I've had and they get into some strange places!

Most reactions

Back